Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 25 Oct 2018
  • Well with 61 days to go till Christmas, time to start planning.
    We are going to repeat last years fare, dry aged rib roast.
    Want to try a larger one and this time about 45 days.
    Bentley and others, please chime in, thinking about wet aging and then onto the dry but not sure.
    Let me know what you think.
    This one might also have some lake views, the wife and I made an offer on a little lake house and looks like a go, that ought to make this taste even better and for the 1st Christmas there can't think of a better meal.
  • #2 by Bentley on 25 Oct 2018
  • I think I am done with the Wet then Dry, it will be one or the other for me from now on!  Reminds me to go get my Koji Sirlon out and wash off, take pictures and cook!
  • #3 by jdmessner on 26 Oct 2018
  • Well with 61 days to go till Christmas, time to start planning.

This one might also have some lake views, the wife and I made an offer on a little lake house and looks like a go, that ought to make this taste even better and for the 1st Christmas there can't think of a better meal.

I will be following your posts and am looking forward to the thought behind your choices and process. Good luck with the new house. Sounds like a great move!
  • #4 by yorkdude on 29 Oct 2018
  • Decided where I am going to get the roast, McGonigles in Kansas City, have been told numerous times the meat is top shelf.
    A tad expensive but not totally out of line.
    This weekend or next most probably we will go.
    On the way we will grab a hot dog or sausage at Leeway Franks in Lawrence, the dogs and sausage are really good, have had them many times.
  • #5 by Bentley on 29 Oct 2018
  • So you are going Dry Age on USDA Prime?
  • #6 by yorkdude on 29 Oct 2018
  • They say choice or better, I have heard prime most of the time however those prices seem a tad cheap for prime??
    I will see how it looks and what it is and go from there, if there is a noticeable positive difference in the cut versus what I can get more local with relation to price, I will go with them.
  • #7 by Bentley on 29 Oct 2018
  • May I be rude and ask how much a pound?  If it is USDA Choice and you have a Costco near you ( I guess you have to be a member) , I do not think you can beat their quality when it comes to Choice.
  • #8 by yorkdude on 29 Oct 2018
  • May I be rude and ask how much a pound?  If it is USDA Choice and you have a Costco near you ( I guess you have to be a member) , I do not think you can beat their quality when it comes to Choice.
    Sure can, its 15.00 a #.
    If you google the name you will see the menu for beef etc. Kind of interesting.
  • #9 by yorkdude on 10 Nov 2018
  • So here we are, 45 days from Christmas.
    13.2#’s, boneless and choice.
    Did grab  A few prime fillets out of the bargain bin.  Here’s hoping it turns out as good as last year.
  • #10 by Bentley on 10 Nov 2018
  • You will do well.  I guess I will Wet Age my ungraded beef, as it will be about 49 days I guess!  Kristin say I should age it, sous vide it, brown it and we have Stroganoff for Christmas dinner.  Sounded plausible!
  • #11 by yorkdude on 10 Nov 2018
  • I know where I am headed to for Christmas Dinner, man that sounds really good.
  • #12 by yorkdude on 16 Nov 2018
  • 6 days in. Temp is hanging out at about 38* and about 28 % rh.
    The pictures will show its weight loss but about 2#’s.
  • #13 by Bentley on 16 Nov 2018
  • Will be interesting to follow the weight loss before trimming.  Something I have never done closely, it was always before start and after trim...
  • #14 by yorkdude on 25 Nov 2018
  • 2 weeks. 25.3 rh & 35.5*.
    Going to weigh it later today hopefully, got 60 mph winds and snow, crazy bad.
    Checked out the generator as we have had several power “blinks”.
  • #15 by Bentley on 25 Nov 2018
  • Looks good at 30 days!

You started on the 10th, still looks good, even at that lower RH!
Pages:
Actions