Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pinterest – Blessing or Curse  (Read 402 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Pinterest – Blessing or Curse
« on: October 27, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »

It used to be if you wanted a recipe or to do something creative, it took hours of digging in volumes of cookbooks or magazines. Now with the wonders of the internet we get bombarded with ideas we never would have thought of on our own. My wife uses my facebook page (which I rarely use) and is also active on Pinterest. So that means I keep getting numerous “Helpful” suggestions for things to try. I do my best to ignore them, but sometimes they drag me in.

The other day I saw something that intrigued me, it was a literal reverse sear. You sear the outside of a roast; cut a big pocket down the center of the roast; then turn it inside out (like you would a sock); stuff the seared inside of the roast with onions, bacon, peppers, and cheese; bake the roast; and wallah you have a perfect stuffed roast. I am almost embarrassed to say I fell for it, but I did. It did not work. I couldn’t get that sucker to turn inside out to save me! I tried several different ways, but ended up just cooking it and it turned out ok, but nothing like what was advertised.

Today I had a pumpkin BBQ sauce pop up. Trying to resist the temptation, but they make it look so good and I keep thinking that might not be too bad!

Anyone had any Pinterest successes or failures worth sharing?
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Re: Pinterest – Blessing or Curse
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »

Being a very visual person, I like Pinterest to look for ideas.  I have learned to copy the things I like to my OneNote for safe keeping.  I have gone back to saved items and the link is invalid or the article has been deleted.  The bad thing is that this behavior has turned me into an electronic hoarder.   ;D

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:29:58 PM »

Being a very visual person, I like Pinterest to look for ideas.  I have learned to copy the things I like to my OneNote for safe keeping.  I have gone back to saved items and the link is invalid or the article has been deleted.  The bad thing is that this behavior has turned me into an electronic hoarder.   ;D

Try a copy and paste into OneNote instead so that you have the actual text instead of something linked to a website.  I've learned from experience for different reasons.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »

That's what I said and do.  The links from Pinterest to the original is what I was referring to.  I should have been more clear/exact.  Google image search is another  good resource.

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:24:51 PM »

It's a curse!
There are photos of baked goods with instructions! Frostings! Carbs! Delishishness!
SurfAndTurf

Ssteppe

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »

It's both.
I've found some good tips and recipes on Pinterest, and a couple that didn't work out and I deleted.

But it's a rabbit hole - I find I spend more time browsing Pinterest than actually trying all the recipes and tips that I've pinned...
Memphis Pro - low and slow in Hoosier land.

jgrayson

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »

I would agree that Pinterest is a bit of a rabbit hole.  I have never used it to look up food ideas, but I have used it for a few other projects.  I have used some of the ideas there for wood working projects:  the patio furniture that I posted pictures of a few months ago, and a bunk bed I made for the kids.  I have also used it for Halloween costume ideas.

To get to some good ideas, you need to wade through a lot of junk though.  Also, some things that look good turn out to be advertisements or pages with no substance. 
Have fun, John Yoder YS640S; Oklahoma Joes The Judge Charcoal Grill
Pages: [1]   Go Up