Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Queball on 10 Sep 2017
  • Ever notice how some things are just made for each other. … You know … Peanut Butter and Jelly, or Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Simple elements, but put together, just magical! …. In Cajun cuisine Andouille sausage and Gulf shrimp are found in gumbo, etoufee, jambalaya and other dishes. There’s lots of room for imagination and creativity with their inclusion. We love both of these, and when featured together we call it Cajun Fusion. ……. This is not meant to be a recipe, but more like idea food for your imagination. It’s obviously very simple. …. But very tasty!

Ingredients (In General)
    Andouille Sausage – We make Andouille and then smoke it and vac bag it for later use. These are 8” x 1-1/2” links. Use a link or maybe two! .... It's your show.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Shrimp – Would prefer wild caught Gulf shrimp, but they’re up to $14 a pound in our area. These are farm raised. About half the price. A pound is needed.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    The Trinity – Can’t do Cajun without the trinity. … Onion, celery and green pepper
    Seasoning -  When you say Cajun, there are a ton of them available out there. We make our own so we can control the level of salt.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    This is a good creole mix, but I don’t know where I got it from.
    • Queball
  • #2 by Queball on 10 Sep 2017
  • The Prep
    -The vegetables need to be chopped. We're also adding some sliced mushroom and minced fresh garlic.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    -Remove the shells and de-veine the shimp. Cut them into pieces if they are large.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    -Slice the Andouille.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

The Cook
    -In a fry pan soften the vegetables with butter or oil.
    -Make a rue based brown or a white sauce.
    -Add the veggies to the sauce and gently simmer
    -Right before serving, add the shrimp and Andouille to the sauce.
    The shrimp cook quickly and the sausage only needs a re-heat.
    • Queball
  • #3 by Queball on 10 Sep 2017
  • - Prepare white rice or grits.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Plate the dish over rice or grits, and finish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and spice.

Fusion with a brown sauce.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

Fusion with a white sauce and chopped green onion
     [ Invalid Attachment ]

"Cajun Spaghetti" (Fusion served over smoked spaghetti squash)
     [ Invalid Attachment ]  

It's "Southern Cookin" done the Cajun way!
    • Queball
  • #4 by pmillen on 10 Sep 2017
  • Queball, are you a chef in some exclusive restaurant where I'll never be able to afford to go?
  • #5 by riverrat49 on 10 Sep 2017
  • Queball--- Why are you not Competing in the Taste of America Challenge for a shot at the World Food Championships  :clap:
  • #6 by Queball on 10 Sep 2017
  • Paul ... Cabinetmaker by trade. So, just get here and we'll eat! ..... Kind words from you both .... Thank You! .... But at this point in my life and my state of health, I think competition realistically is beyond me. I'm quite sure those competitors are far above my skill level. I would love to spend a couple of days at a competition and a restaurant .... not to cook, just to watch and see how "The Big Kids" do what they do. From your postings here and the "other place", I know you're no culinary slouch, RR. I'd be curious to see how quality food is prepared and served on a volume basis. I have no idea how all of that works, but I'll bet it is fascinating.
    • Queball
  • #7 by pz on 10 Sep 2017
  • My goodness Queball, those meals look as good as it gets, and I love Cajun savory foods. Definitely on my list of things to try.
  • #8 by Quadman750 on 10 Sep 2017
  • Top notch cookin right there.
  • #9 by Bobitis on 10 Sep 2017
  • Ya lost me at the grits.

Dad was born and raised in TX, and I've quite a large family there. You name it, and I've probably eaten it. The list is far too long to mention.
    Two things I could never get over... Pig brains in scrambled eggs, and grits. The brains go without saying.  :puke: Grits (to me) are just a tasteless pulp of goo'ish constancy. I hold them in the same regard as lye infused corn kernals (hominy).  ???

The dish looks delicious! But make my base wild rice.
  • #10 by Queball on 10 Sep 2017
  • I get your drift Bobitis. .... I like grits when they are firmer, more textural than the super creamy stuff. You can cook them to get some of the steam/moisture out. .... Firm, then warmed, great with butter melting on top with some S&P. ........ For me. Don't think I could do the pigs brains. I'd have to stop at the grits and eggs!
    • Queball
  • #11 by Free Mr. Tony on 10 Sep 2017
  • Queball is like a kid in a candy store with this photo hosting stuff. For those that don't know, he never used 3rd party pics on pelletheads so you guys are now being treated to his full menu that he blogged about.

Looks amazing.
  • #12 by Queball on 10 Sep 2017
  • Now, now ....... Could never figure out how to transfer pictures to that storage site. So, could never post any pictures. I clearly remember Bentley's comments about creating files within it to organize your pictures before transferring them over. "Dumb as Dirt" couldn't make it happen and I tried more than once. ..... But, don't worry, I've only got 3 pictures left. ???
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Oops! .... Now I've only got 2.

I never did really post any cooks over at the other site. But sure learned a lot from others. Hopefully what we are all doing here will help and motivate others in the same way that in its heyday the other place helped us.
    • Queball
  • #13 by Bentley on 10 Sep 2017
  • Grits need, either butter, egg yolks, red eyed gravy or shrimp and cheese on them!
Pages:
Actions