Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Starship on 29 Oct 2018
  • Have always used the butt to make my pulled pork just wondering if there is any (much) difference
    from using the butt versus the shoulder?? Local store has shoulder on sale (referred to as shoulder arm).

Thnks, all help and suggestions appreciated.
  • #2 by hughver on 29 Oct 2018
  • I bought a couple a while back and did the pulled pork thing and except for having quite a bit of skin and larger percent of bone, the pulled pork came out fine. I did not think that the reduced price justified the extra effort.   :2cents:
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Oct 2018
  • The butt is the shoulder so I am a little confused about your question.  There is a difference between the Boston butt and picnic portion of the shoulder.  The picnic often is covered in a thick skin all around the meat and has a bone that goes almost all the way through the cut.  I am not a big fan of the picnic cut even though it is often times much less expensive than the butt cut.  Too much fat and bone for me, and there is something about the taste that is different to my tastebuds.
  • #4 by Bentley on 29 Oct 2018
  • As noted, the shoulder consists of the Boston Butt and the Picnic (maybe that is shoulder arm?).  You might ask you meat guy if the shoulder arm is ever referred to as the picnic, he will either know, or seem dazed and confused.  Either way, valuable info!

I find the picnic to have more waste, but taste about the same as butt.

...just wondering if there is any (much) difference
    from using the butt versus the shoulder?? Local store has shoulder on sale (referred to as shoulder arm).

• #5 by Starship on 29 Oct 2018
  • Thanks to all....butt it is. Guess what I'm going to do this weekend.....:)
Pages:
Actions