Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Whole Turkey Recipes on the PG500?  (Read 1377 times)

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
Best Whole Turkey Recipes on the PG500?
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »

Love your thoughts guys...thanks!
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: Best Whole Turkey Recipes on the PG500?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »

I ain't got one...     A few years back, I brined one , but don't recall the exact formulation of the brine.  It was something like Apple juice, brown sugar, salt...      It was fantastic.   But I tried to replicate it another time after that and the results were just simply nothing special.      The very first time I cooked at turkey on a old gas/wood smoker I had, it was great too...   in recent years, I just haven't been able to hit a home run again on a turkey.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »

I am going to make an assumption that you like the way your turkey comes out when you oven roast it?  If so, I would do the same process in the PG500 and I bet you and your guests will be please with the smoke flavor of the bird!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MoonBeam

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »

I am going to make an assumption that you like the way your turkey comes out when you oven roast it?  If so, I would do the same process in the PG500 and I bet you and your guests will be please with the smoke flavor of the bird!

Agree totally.

I find 12lb to 16lb organics (for any bird) tend to be the best and need no brining.
Lynx Gasser -> CS 570 -> FEC 100 -> PG1000-> Supper Happy

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

My experience with cooking it (no spatchcock and in zone 4) was that I had to start it upside down to get the bottom to heat up a little faster than the breast.  I suspect that this is because of the way that the heat in zone 4 behaves (top down in PG vs other pellet grills where heat is from bottom up).

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »

I would do the boiling water trick and then use SPG for a seasoning.  Oil the outside of the bird with spray olive oil.  Cook at 375°.  I did this with a test breast last night and it turned out GREAT.  Crispy skin!

Here's the latest ratio (by weight) of SPG that I'm super pleased with.

Code: [Select]
Sea salt 62.97%
Granulated Garlic (not powder) 26.68%
Fine Black Pepper 10.35%
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

demilleroh

• Smokin' in Greenville, SC
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »

My experience with cooking it (no spatchcock and in zone 4) was that I had to start it upside down to get the bottom to heat up a little faster than the breast.  I suspect that this is because of the way that the heat in zone 4 behaves (top down in PG vs other pellet grills where heat is from bottom up).

I did a 12# spatchcocked turkey today on my PG500.  Zone 4, 325 degrees.  I also put it up on about a 3" aluminum roasting pan to catch the drippings.  It was mostly done in the breast and thighs in 1 1/2 hours.   160 breast, 175-180 thighs.  BUT when I probed deeply with my thermapen, the breast was only 145-150 and the bottom side of the thighs were only 145-150.  My first thought is it is due to the top-down heat.  But other factors I have to consider are 1) the large pan blocking some airflow and 2) I only let the turkey acclimate towards room temperature out of the refrigerator for about 30 min.  Does anyone else have experiences like this ?  Until I come up with a better plan, I think I'll have to start the bird breast-side down for maybe 45 min. because I want to catch the drippings. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:02:08 PM by demilleroh »
Darrell
Fast Eddy PG500
Large Grill Dome with DigiQ

Shortstop

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »

PG500 at 325 - Brined 38 hours with clove/garlic/onion/orange.  Tented with foil... No injection.  160 breast/180 leg... Crispy skin and very juicy.  Guests were happy campers.   :bbq:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:50:26 PM by Shortstop »
Cookshack PG-500 - Fireboard Wireless Thermometer - GMG Daniel Boone - GMG Pizza Oven -Gasser
Pages: [1]   Go Up