Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disgusting Food Museum  (Read 631 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Disgusting Food Museum
« on: October 31, 2018, 11:57:59 PM »

Found this story to be in bad taste!  :puke: However, it does make you think about the things we think of as bad or gross in a different light. I was surprised to see root beer on the list, and only mildly surprised to see jello salad made the cut. Most of the other foods listed are probably there for a very good reason!

My nomination goes back to when I was a kid. One winter my mom was on a health food kick and tried her hand at making yogurt. This was before I had ever seen it commercially in a store. I'm not sure what all was in it, but she would mix it with orange juice. She would tell us how good it was for us and that it was just like having an orange cream-cycle! I never had a cream-cycle that tasted anything like that. It was awful. My dad didn't like it any better than we did, but he choked it down and made sure we did the same. Looking back on it, she really put a lot of time and effort into trying to keep us healthy. I don't know why she didn't have us just drink the OJ and eat the yogurt. I never was able to bring myself to try store bought yogurt until I was well into my 30s.

Just curious if anyone has any thought on exhibits that should be included.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/world/2018/10/31/sweden-disgusting-food-museum/38346595/
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Disgusting Food Museum
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »

We were traveling in China in 1990 in a somewhat rural area.  A HUGE pot of soup was brought to the table as the last course.  In it was a whole chicken -- head, beak, feet.  They had gutted and cleaned it, but seeing the chicken eyes, beak and feet put me right off that soup!

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »

I'm not sure what all was in it, but she would mix it with orange juice.

Ugh.  Never do anything fermented with orange juice...it ends up tasting like vomit.   :puke:
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »

We were traveling in China in 1990 in a somewhat rural area.  A HUGE pot of soup was brought to the table as the last course.  In it was a whole chicken -- head, beak, feet.  They had gutted and cleaned it, but seeing the chicken eyes, beak and feet put me right off that soup!
Just like in the movie Christmas Story, with the duck.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »

When I was but a wee lad growing up in rural Oregon and raising our own food (beef, pork, chicken) we processed our own meat except ham and bacon.   One year dad decided to make head cheese.  I was about 13 and head cheese sounded pretty disgusting.   And it smelled bad too.   Cooked that head for what seemed like days.   Upon completion, dad sliced it up and tried to coerce me into eating some of it. :puke:   Sorry I'll stick to regular pork.  The next time we butchered he lost the eyeballs in the batch.   Even he would't eat it. :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »

Mine was my girlfriend, now my wife, and her roommates had a freezer in the basement of there house during their colleges years. They had very little in the freezer except for some meat they bought from a local locker. Well this was in May right before school let out and their landlord erroneously had the power shut off to the tenants above them, well long story short it also cut the power to the freezer in the basement so when they were getting ready to move out about a month later. They decided to clean the freezer out, they had not been in the freezer for a long time. I was there helping them move and when I went to open the freezer, I about  :puke: :puke: and gagged and my eyes started watering. The most horrific odor ever!!  I ended up wrapping fabric softner sheets around my face and put on rubber gloves to get rid of rancid stuff. To this day I think I can still seem to remember that smell.

I grew up on a farm and we had dead animals and such, but this was the worst smell ever!!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »

I have never had anything really disgusting I can think of!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »

Many years ago, Dad took us back to TX on his yearly Vaca from the National Guard. He was born and raised in TX, so us kids are sons of TX as well. Not sure how that works, but it's true.

Anywhooo... Grandma made up some scrambled eggs for breakfast one morning. 'Gramma, what are those pink bits in the eggs'? She laughed/cackled and said... "why, them's pig brains"! Dad loved them and she always made them for him.  :puke:

Dad lived with me the last few months of his life before cancer took him. What did he like for food? Root beer floats. Every day, that's all he asked for.

Weird...
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »

I know you don't wanna hear it, but I will say it anyway!  Atta Boy

Dad lived with me the last few months of his life before cancer took him...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »

I am betting this is more mainstream than I realize but my mother used to love pickled pigs feet, to me they were just disgusting.
I have eaten lots of different stuff but somehow could not wrap my head around those, not sure why.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »

I am betting this is more mainstream than I realize but my mother used to love pickled pigs feet, to me they were just disgusting.
I have eaten lots of different stuff but somehow could not wrap my head around those, not sure why.

I like pickled pigs feet, but the hocks have much more meat on them.  :lick:
The feet are pretty much fat and bones, but I'll eat 'em anyway...

Head cheese, grits, hominy, testicles... No way.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »

Testicles done right are good, that's why it is strange to me that I can't imagine feet or hocks.
My Grandpa devoured head cheese and he loved blood sausage also, oh my!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »

The prior post reminded me of something I tasted in England -- apologies to our Brit friends, but I found blood pudding just un-eatable!  It was just disgusting to me.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »

I can't imagine feet or hocks.

Don't knock ham hocks, I buy them a least twice a month for red beans and rice seasoning.   :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ZCZ

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »

Wondering where Lutefisk and pickled herring might fit in all this?
I have a fresh jar of pickled herring from Costco in the fridge & ready to go. But no Lutefisk.

Al
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up