Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 01 Nov 2018
  •  This is it - castironseasoning   I stumbled across this yesterday and found it to be the best most informative information source on the subject..There is a lot to

go thru as you will see. Sorry folks, Something has happened to this link as in gone..
  • #2 by Darwin on 01 Nov 2018
  • Good find John, I'll try to read it after work. 

These are related to Sheryl Canter and Flax Seed Oil, also worth a read.

ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil
  • #3 by jdmessner on 08 Nov 2018
  • Thanks to both of you for posting the information. I cook quite a bit with CI and have become a real believer in flax seed oil for the initial seasoning.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 24 Nov 2018

•  The best seasoning information is found on the FIELD Cast Iron website.  Their method works amazingly well..I had tried several oils and processes on several C I pieces over the years only to find some were

better than others.  The Field method leaves the others in the dust... I would be interested in your experiences using this method..... The only information I would aadd is proper C I prep for seasoning. I deem

it paramount in order to provide a SOLID foundation for the seasoning...Then it goes on as to describe initial and subsequent uses - all part of the process.
  • #5 by pmillen on 24 Nov 2018
  • It looks like expert information.  I'd be winning to move away from flax oil.  DANG!  I don't have a pan that requires seasoning.
  • #6 by Darwin on 24 Nov 2018
  • I may try the grape seed oil on the new lids I just purchased.  I like the finish from the flax seed oil, but the smell requires the house to be open all day.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 24 Nov 2018
  • I may try the grape seed oil on the new lids I just purchased.  I like the finish from the flax seed oil, but the smell requires the house to be open all day.
    You will note that 400º and center shelf is curing position and temperature, ~ 25º below the smoke point of the grape seed oil. Following the directions ( VERY IMPORTANT ),that is wiping the oil off and a second wipe in 10 min. in, results in very little smoke..
Pages:
Actions