Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • Always fun to go into RD!  Costly at 1st, but over time, save a pretty good amount.  About half what you pay for Hillshire Farms or Oscar Mayer and to me, cut thin, as good if not better.  The Halal Rib Roast, was in wrong section is all I can think.  There was a 17lb USDA Choice rib roast on the Aging Table (bargain bin).  No price, I ask the meat guy how much, he says $11.50/lb.  I say you have stuff over in the regular bin that is $9.50/lb, whats up?  He say this is Angus yada yada...pass.  Go back to look at USDA Choice, cheap screw mode kicks in, $9+/lb, naw, USDA Select $7.59/lb, negative...Ungraded (a first in RD for me) $6.59/lb.  We have a winner, gonna smoke/sous vide/grill for Christmas anyway, know it will be tender, taste will be another question...Grab one, don't look at sticker, and here we are!  Couple of spices and 4lbs of butter and away we go!

So, to the best of my knowledge (unless I ate it somewhere and did not know the cut) my 1st experience with Flat Iron.  So, I see this cut and I think it looks like an obese Tenderloin, do I care off a steak like I would if I were doing a Tenderloin?  I am going to try one tonight, just grilled on the Pro.  Then, this weekend I am going to do a smoke/sous vide/grill.

Edit: After further review, the receipt say BF Angus Flats, and I am pretty sure that means Brisket Flats, although I have never seen a 17.56lb. Brisket flat, so I wonder if it is 2 or 3?  After the Brisket sous vide last week for the Chile Colorado, I was very pleased with the way that come out, so I see lots of stew in the future, and at $2.59/lb, I cant find anything here in Mayberry under $4.5/lb.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Nov 2018
  • Looks like someone's slicer is going to get a workout.
  • #3 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • Yeah, I figure 1lb packs, that is about 3 sandwiches!

So, how do I cut this Flat Iron to grill?  Just like a tenderloin medallion?
  • #4 by triplebq on 06 Nov 2018
  • Very nice RD haul.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Nov 2018

So, how do I cut this Flat Iron to grill?

I would cut it like you would a tenderloin to your desired thickness.
  • #6 by yorkdude on 06 Nov 2018

So, how do I cut this Flat Iron to grill?
    How thick is the flat iron? When I did grill them I would do them hot and fast to just past rare and they were phenomenal, sliced them slightly diagonally top to bottom if that makes sense.
    The ones like that though were about an 1 1/2" thick or so though and that rascal looks thicker.
  • #7 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • If you made it into a true circle maybe 4 inches, as it lies there probably 2 to 2 1/2...
  • #8 by hughver on 06 Nov 2018
  • I agree with yorkdude, it doesn't look like any flat iron steak that I've ever had.  :-[
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Nov 2018
  • I agree with yorkdude, it doesn't look like any flat iron steak that I've ever had.  :-[

Me, too.  My understanding was that the flat iron came out of the interior of the shoulder clod.  That would have to be one huge cow IMO.
  • #10 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • 1.) In butchery, the top blade steak (otherwise also known as the flat iron steak) comes from the chuck section of a steer or heifer.

2.) Flat iron steak (US), is a cut of steak cut with the grain from the shoulder of the animal.

• #11 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • It is a weird cut where ever it is from!  The left side looks like an entirely different cut then the right!  Left looks like Chuck Ribs, right like Chuck Roast!
  • #12 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • We will cook up a little from each side and see!
  • #13 by yorkdude on 06 Nov 2018
  • I ain’t a butcher......but, could you figure out how to “ pinwheel “ it ? It looks like the bottom portion (for lack of better terms) looks more like what I have seen as flat iron.
  • #14 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2018
  • I would have to butterfly it to see how it would work, but stuffing it may not be a bad idea!

• #15 by Mcjagger on 08 Nov 2018
  • Newbie here... how does one become a member at restaurant Depot without a qualifying business to use ???
Pages:
Actions