Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Nov 2018
  • Headed to the South the week of Thanksgiving for about 10 days to catch up with my wife and her family for the holiday.  Going to spend 5-6 days hitting some historic music sites and museums while I am down there.  Also, plan to have some Memphis BBQ and hit a few Memphis microbreweries and record stores.  Here is a list of most of what I plan to do.  Prior to that, I am planning on going to the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth, PA about 20 minutes from me this afternoon.

Beale Street
    Memphis Music Hall of Fame
    Blues Hall of Fame
    Memphis Rock n Soul Museum
    Graceland and other related new sites on the property
    Sun Records Studio
    Stax Museum of American Soul Music
    Gibson Guitar Factory
    Drive by former homes of Aretha Franklin, Memphis Slim, Johnny Cash, Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis
    Dixon Gallery and Memphis Brooks Art Museum
    Visit the site where BB King named his guitar Lucille - https://www.arkansas.com/bb-kings-lucille-marker
    Visit gravesite of Albert King
    Visit a place in Eastern Arkansas where the Beatles visited in the 60s and they have a steel replica of them crossing the street like on their album cover - https://www.arkansas.com/attractions/beatles-sculpture
    Visit some other blues related locations in Eastern Arkansas
  • #2 by ZCZ on 09 Nov 2018
  • Sounds like a very interesting trip.  Please post pictures along the way.
    Z
  • #3 by Bentley on 09 Nov 2018
  • Enjoy and safe travels!

If allowed, would love to see some photos of The Jungle room!

Graceland and other related new sites on the property.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Nov 2018
  • LMK if there are any other requests

Just got home from the Martin Guitar Factory tour.  Pretty neat place.  Their museum is probably worth going to by itself.  I breezed through it.  Need to go back to take it all in.
  • #5 by SurfAndTurf on 10 Nov 2018
  • IDK if you can swing it but Muscle Shoals, AL is so worth it!
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Nov 2018
  • IDK if you can swing it but Muscle Shoals, AL is so worth it!

Funny cuz that is on my to do list along with a trip to the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  That will probably be in 2019.
  • #7 by SurfAndTurf on 17 Nov 2018
  • And the National Coon Dog Cemetery on your way to the GulfCoast!
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Nov 2018
  • got a late start on the trip...8 inches of snow helped me get a very nice travel credit to move my flight back a day.  Arrived today instead of yesterday.  Have enough $ on travel credit for 1-2 flights back here.  I know I;m coming back in April so will see how much that consumes of my credits.  Been here about 6 hours and having a blast.  Just came back to hotel to catch up on what I can chalk up on my itinerary and recharge my phone.  Heading back out soon.  Not sure how long I will last today after being up since 3:30am Central but gonna give it all I got til I drop.  No rush to get up tomorrow until 9am.
  • #9 by SurfAndTurf on 17 Nov 2018
  • So glad you are having fun!

Watch the speed traps in Germantown!
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Nov 2018
  • So glad you are having fun!

Watch the speed traps in Germantown!

Not out that far east and probably won't get out that way on this trip either.  Mostly focused on downtown and midtown.  Not sure I will get to my two days worth of Arkansas sites like planned.  Will see.  Lotsa time left.  See how much I knock out tomorrow big day.  Heading to bed now.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Nov 2018
  • Was out of hotel by 8am this morning.  Drove around the city for 3 hours taking lots of pictures of historical markers, sites, murals, houses, etc.  Had Central BBQ for lunch...OMG was it good.  Loved the wings.  I had BBQ at the Rendezvous, PIG, and Rum Boogie Cafe yesterday and was disappointed with all of them.  Central BBQ came through!

Have not gone to any of the museums yet.  May go to 1-2 today.  Will see how I feel after walking around some more today.
  • #12 by Bentley on 18 Nov 2018
  • The disappointment was caused by?

I had BBQ at the Rendezvous, PIG, and Rum Boogie Cafe yesterday and was disappointed with all of them.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Nov 2018
  • Rendezvous - ribs were served at about room temperature and needed a knife to be pulled from the bone.  I don't need falling off the bone, but like when they are tender enough I can tug the bone and split it from the next bone.  I did enjoy the flavor of ribs that had enough of their house rub on them.  And, I really like their hot BBQ sauce.

PIG - ribs were dry and not very flavorful

Rum Boogie Cafe - had pork shoulder sandwich that was OK but nothing spectacular.

Central BBQ - ribs were tender yet firm and had a very nice flavor to them.  They were actually better with their hot bbq sauce.  The wings were fall off the bone tender and had nice smoke flavor.  I think they may have lightly fried them after that too.  Sauce was nothing to get excited about as it was standard hot sauce.  But, I wish I would have ordered more than 3 whole wings.

I ordered half naked and half sauced
  • #14 by Bentley on 18 Nov 2018
  • Wings look great!
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Nov 2018
  • Just ran into the entire Dallas Mavericks team in the lobby of the hotel as they were getting off the bus and going up to their rooms.
Pages:
Actions