Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you cure a ham, if you didn’t even know it was sick?  (Read 288 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI

This was a lesson in never making assumptions. Last week someone I knew passed away. The family couldn’t afford much in the way of a funeral or a luncheon. I told them I had a ham in the freezer that had been given to me and I would cook it for them for the dinner after the service. It came from a pig that a friend had raised and butchered. Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped the ham from the and discovered that it was uncured!

I thawed it as quick as I could and ended up smoking it overnight instead of baking it in the morning as I originally planned. I didn’t do a lot to it, just a basic pork rub and then finished it with an apple juice/brown sugar based glaze. Since it was an impromptu spur of the moment effort, I wasn't real sure how it would turn out. It ended up better than expected, so I was relieved!!

As long as I had the smoker going, I added a chuck roast. Ended up slicing it thin and mixing it with sautéed onions and peppers. The family ended up with ham and pepper steak sandwiches. Between the ham and the roast I think we ended up with almost 50 sandwiches on hamburg buns. Someone else brought the buns. If it was up to me, I would have used Hawiian dinner rolls. The bottom line is that the family was pleased with the results!

Anyone else had a last minute surprise, just before getting ready to cook?
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: How do you cure a ham, if you didn’t even know it was sick?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:48:38 AM »

No, but it sounds like your experience made it great for everyone.  Congratulations for a great save in the late innings.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »

Curious, since it was a green ham, would you say the finished product tasted like a rubbed and roasted loin?  I bet they were pleased!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 08:04:27 PM »

Curious, since it was a green ham, would you say the finished product tasted like a rubbed and roasted loin?  I bet they were pleased!

Yes, it was a lot like a rubbed and roasted loin. I sliced the meat fairly thin, mixed it with a little of the glaze, and zapped it in the microwave to moisten it up a bit. Put it on the buns and kept the sandwiches warm in the oven until it was time to serve. The glaze mixture gave it a nice taste. The family was pleased!!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio
Pages: [1]   Go Up