Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 11 Nov 2018

•  My sourdough operation requires a precise amount of water, by weight. As water weighs 1G/ML this should be easy considering the measuring device and how it's used. I found it to be very close

but not always 100%. The problem being the pour. Using any of our measuring devices always ended up with the water running back, following the outside and dripping off the bottom. I wanted more

control so I cut down a round plastic baking soda container* ( ~ 3" D x ~ 4" H) and tried forming a crease and then a spout - not the answer. Next was punching a small hole 3/16" using my leather punch,

with the centre 1/4" below the top. That is the answer. Precise control of the pour thru the hole with No run-back... Yes, I could always measure the water separately then add it. This is quicker and very

controllable as there are times when just a touch more water is required.

* Food grade material.
  • #2 by pmillen on 11 Nov 2018
  • Clever and more convenient than a pipette.
  • #3 by smokin soon on 11 Nov 2018
  • I've been doing S.F. Sourdough for 11 years, and have never been to precise about anything. History of S.F. Sourdough goes back to 1800"s. They did not have a lot of measuring devices back then. I'm pretty sloppy with my feedings before baking, but it's about 1 and a half flour to 1 cup water. Doubles in size in 6 hours. 3 feeds, time to bake.
    I started out reading all of the forums and did use weight for everything, calculating hydration levels and the like. Made more mistakes doing that than going by touch and feel. It does take time, my starter took 3 years to kick into overdrive.
  • #4 by urnmor on 12 Nov 2018
  • I do like to bake, however, I have never made sourdough bread so I cannot speak to the need to having precise measurements.  What I do know using a scale will give you a more accurate reading then using a measuring cup or spoon.  That said what I was told way back when the reason you see 1 cup of this or 1 tablespoon of that is to give you a reference to the amount.  If you don't follow the recipe exactly will it go south?  More then likely not unless you really over do it with the basic ingredients.   Just remember our parents at least my Grandmother and Mother did much by sight to include using a pinch of this and dash of that. 
  • #5 by Canadian John on 12 Nov 2018

•  The intent of this post wasn't directed at sourdough rather on being able to control distributing small amounts of water or liquid precisely.

As for sourdough itself, scales weren't used in the early days. In fact my daughter just eyeballs all her sourdough mixtures.They turn out great.

A recipe is just a roadmap to concocting food. The gifted ones just do it.
Pages:
Actions