Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 12 Nov 2018
  • We have to travel a bit for Thanksgiving, we also have to make the stuffing and mashed potatoes.

I am sure some or maybe most of you know this, but I was not sure so I did a small experiment. I peeled, cubed and washed a potato and then put in a pouch and vac sealed. Left them lay on the table for 30+ hours to see if they would turn brown. They did not. So now I can prep them and take them on the trip in bags then into the pressure cooker for a quick cook then mash. This was  Yukon gold tater.
  • #2 by pmillen on 12 Nov 2018
  • Would the refrigerator have been safer, bacteria-wise?
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 13 Nov 2018
  • I am not sure, I just did this to see if they would turn brown. Probably toss this one and put the ones for Thanksgiving in the fridge.
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Nov 2018
  • Maybe this is a silly question, but why not make the mashed potatoes, seal them in a vac bag, and then drop the bag in a pot of hot water when you reach your destination?
  • #5 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2018
  • Not sure that an uncooked peeled potato has any more bacterial risk, then a non peeled sitting in the pantry.  Especially in an air free environment (air is what turns then brown)  Although, maybe I am the only one who does not store my potatoes in the fridge?
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 13 Nov 2018
  • Well, I thought about that but the powers that be shot that idea down. I even thought of putting some butter and salt in the bags then SV for 90 minutes and add some warm milk, done.

So this is my solution, peeled, cubed sealed then into the pressure cooker for 10 to 12 minutes once there. I may need to do 2 batches in the pressure cooker, as mine is only 6 qt I think.

I also do not store taters in the fridge. I guess I introduced the risk of bacteria once I peeled and handled them, my thought is I just took off the natural peel and replaced it with a plastic one.
  • #7 by pmillen on 13 Nov 2018
  • Not sure that an uncooked peeled potato has any more bacterial risk, then a non peeled sitting in the pantry.  Especially in an air free environment (air is what turns then brown)  Although, maybe I am the only one who does not store my potatoes in the fridge?

Yeah, good points.

I thought that there might be more bacteria risk 'cause it's peeled.  But It's only been exposed to airborne bacteria for a short while.

I dunno.
  • #8 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2018
  • I never thought much about raw vegetables.  I would never be afraid to eat an onion, or broccoli, or carrots or green pepper that has sat out for 3-4 days raw, and maybe I should be.  Just not sure how that bacteria stuff works!
  • #9 by SmokinHandyman on 13 Nov 2018
  • Maybe this is a silly question, but why not make the mashed potatoes, seal them in a vac bag, and then drop the bag in a pot of hot water when you reach your destination?

I though that also
  • #10 by KNIGHTDAD on 14 Nov 2018
  • I’m not sure about potatoes left out. I know that onions are a no no. Once the outer skin is removed or cut a onion will absorb airborne bacteria like a sponge. If a breakout occurs at a restaurant, the first thing health inspectors test are the onions.
Pages:
Actions