Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by reubenray on 20 Nov 2018
  • Did you re-season the turkey or just spray it with Pam?
  • #17 by bregent on 20 Nov 2018
  • >I ended up doing a test run yesterday with two 10 lb turkeys.

What temp did you end up cooking at?
  • #18 by jdmessner on 20 Nov 2018
  • Did you re-season the turkey or just spray it with Pam?

I did not re-season, but I did spray it with canola cooking spray. I'm trying to cut down a bit on salt, so that was my comprimise. I smoked them around 275, when I do the next one I will go at a higher temp, probably somewhere in the 325-375 range. My smoker only has smoke-medium-high settings, so you take what you can get! A lot will depend on outside temps and weather conditions.
  • #19 by okie smokie on 21 Nov 2018
  • Has anyone brined a butterball turkey?  I've read somewhere that they are brined already and that you should not brine them.  I'm looking for some insights from anyone who might have tried it.
    Butterballs that are frozen have been injected with a salted solution.
    Never frozen Butterballs have not been injected at all.
    So.  If previously frozen, then you don't need to brine or can brine for shorter period.
    If Fresh never frozen, (it says so on the vinyl packaging). Go for the brining.  Usually the premixed brine packages suggest 1 hr per pound. 
    And you don't have to rinse the bird after brining, just pat it dry.  Again depends on salt concentration, and how long you brined.

I am doing a 12.5 lb Butterball.  Never frozen. Using a Bill Baron's turkey brine kit. (from Whole Foods)
    I called Baron's today to ask if I should rinse after brining.  They said no rinsing unless you brined longer than suggested. Also, you can brine for less time if you wish to restrict salt. Just pat dry after removing from brine, smear with oil or melted butter, inside and out, and then apply their seasoning packet inside and out.  (sprinkle and rub or pat). At 325 or 350  in a Reynolds cooking bag.   :2cents:
  • #20 by bregent on 21 Nov 2018
  • >Never frozen Butterballs have not been injected at all.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Around here, Butterball Fresh turkey labels state they have up to 4% solution added.
  • #21 by Hoosier Daddy on 21 Nov 2018
  • >Never frozen Butterballs have not been injected at all.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Around here, Butterball Fresh turkey labels state they have up to 4% solution added.

Same here. 
  • #22 by okie smokie on 21 Nov 2018
  • Hmmn.  Mine says "never Frozen"  contains up to 5% water, no artificial ingredients.  I am not sure whether the water is injected, or whether is just inside the sealed cover.  Will find out how much water comes out when I defrock it in the AM.  Will go to the Butterball website and check it out.
  • #23 by okie smokie on 21 Nov 2018
  • Boy was I incorrect.  My source was one of the so called gurus on the web (can't remember which one)
    The official Butterball Website says the the Fresh Never Frozen has up to 4% solution of water, salt and spices  and the Frozen has up to an 8% solution of water, salt and spices.  So---they both have added water salt and spices but the frozen bird has twice as much on the average.  To me that still means that if you are going to brine, you should use the bird with the least added salt; i.e. the Never Frozen.  I plan to err on the side of less brine time.   Will brine just 12 hrs.  Pat dry and cook in oven bag. 
  • #24 by reubenray on 22 Nov 2018
  • All of these posts made me concerned with what I did with my turkey being to salty.  I did a dry brine for 36 hours that had 4 tablespoons of salt plus some other spices on 20 pound Members Mark (Sam's Club) that had 9% solution.  It was just carved and it was not salty at all.  In fact I thought it needed a little salt.
  • #25 by okie smokie on 22 Nov 2018
  • My "never frozen" was brined for 12 hrs.  Patted dry (not rinsed), and I used the included seasoning pack.  It was not salty either.  In fact it was delicious and moist throughout.  However, I used an oven bag and that shortened the cooking time by about 30 minutes.  2 hrs at 325 to do a 12 lb Butterball.  Then put a lid on it and a towel for 45 minutes cause we were so early. Dressing, gravy, canned cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green beens, and punkin pie.  Then a nice snooze.
Pages:
Actions