Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auger Problem  (Read 3304 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Auger Problem
« on: November 17, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

My 5 year old Traeger Select seems to have bit the bullet. I went to put on some chicken thighs this morning and the auger is not turning and is making a bang-bang-banging noise. The banging appears to be at the auger turn rate. Does the auger have a clutch that could be slipping or does it have a shear pin that might be sheared? I still have the DC so all is not lost but the little guy doesn't hold very much. Anyone familiar with how to remove the hopper/auger?  Thanks for the help.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
Re: Auger Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »

I think that there is a shear pin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-or5eASQg
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

hughver

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »

I think that there is a shear pin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-or5eASQg

Thanks for the link. I didn't see the four bolts due the gunk buildup on the wall. Yes, there is a shear pin that is actually a threaded bolt/nut. It's probably a soft metal so any old bolt may not work. I'll call Traeger and order one or see if they have a recommendation. 
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »

There is a small machine screw w/ a locking nut. This connects the motor to the auger. Sorry I can't give you the dimensions as my records went w/ my Traeger when my daughter took it.

To check what is going either lie on your back looking up at the motor or use a mirror. In either case, alight may be required. If the motor output turns and the auger doesn't. It's the connector screw

that has worn to the point of breaking..If the motor output  is stationary when the motor is turning, it's the gearbox section of the motor = replace the motor..DO NOT go by the motor fan as to establishing

the motor assembly is good. All it tells you the motor is turning, not the gearbox output..Hope that helps!

Canadian John

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 03:12:57 PM »

If I remember the screw size may be in your parts section of the manual..A good hardware store should have what you need.

As for getting at the motor/auger; Traeger has some very good youtube videos on many repairs.

Canadian John

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »

Here is what you need: A 3/4" long,  6x32, socket head screw* and a 6x32 "Nyloc" hex nut.

* Uses an Allen key.  Always handy to have spares. They are not expensive.

hughver

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 07:47:35 PM »

Thanks for all of the details John. I got to thinking about the repetitive banging noise and the frequency of it was somewhere around 1/second. The auger is much slower than that so the noise is most likely being emitted from the gear box. Before I take it apart, I'm going to have a spare auger assembly in hand. Anyone know the RPM of the auger motor? Would there be any benefit to getting a faster one?

Canadian John

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »

Can't tell you auger motor assembly output R P M.

Going to a higher R P M will feed more pellets. Should heat-up faster and generate a higher max temp. Will disturb the smoke settings and low temps.  Remember, the controller goes into smoke mode once

the set temperature is reached. In smoke mode, the augers pauses for 15 seconds. Depending on the controller you have, the auger run time is either adjustable (" P " setting) or fixed.

An other negative is the potential weakness of the higher R P M gearbox.  :2cents:

hughver

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »

I replaced the original controller with a SS4 several years ago.

hughver

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »

I Finally got the Traeger apart and found out that there was a stripped gear in the auger box. The replacement that I ordered from Ebay is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. With any luck, it will arrive early enough for me to get it installed so hat I can use the pit for Thanksgiving turkey.  :-\

Update: Stripped gear was probably caused by a clogged auger tube. I found packed pellets about halfway down the tube. The blockage must have been caused by pellet dust because the pit is under cover and it hasn't rained here in months.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:38:46 PM by hughver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up