Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Ever Eaten a KellyBronze Turkey?  (Read 779 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Anyone Ever Eaten a KellyBronze Turkey?
« on: November 18, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »

Our local paper carried a story on these turkeys -- the supposed "Rolls-Royce of Turkeys".  They originated in Great Britain.  There is only one place in the U.S. which raises them.  It is in Crozet, Va about 50 miles from us.  They are a heritage breed I think, free range raised, hand plucked, dry aged, etc etc.  I gather they are about 11 to 15 pounds when full grown and cost between $150 to $200.

The taste is suppose to be out of this world, although I find $200 for a 12 or 14 lb bird to be over the top.  So I am wondering if anyone out there has ever tasted one?

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Anyone Ever Eaten a KellyBronze Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 02:09:39 PM »

WOW never have heard of KellyBronze Turkeys. I guess I'm in a different class as I tend to find the lowest priced turkeys this time of year and stock up. I would love to try one though.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »

Wow!!!   I'm with triplebq, too rich for my blood.   Got several in the freezer .39cents #.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »

Turkey is delicious, but at $14/lb. there is no way for me it can live up to the cost.  I would prefer a Beef Tenderloin. It would be like asking me...would like this double cheeseburger or these lima beans. A very easy choice for me.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »

They must cater to a very elite customer population.  The people that pay that breathe rare air.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »

I guess there are so many customers that you need to reserve your bird in advance and only a select few stores carry them.

I still can't wrap my head around the price.  Here in our little burg, our local food closet has a Thanksgiving drive to raise money to buy turkeys and dinners with all the fixings for families in need.  Employees from a big local company donate most of the fixings and it costs about $25 per family for the turkey and remaining food.  All I could think about when I read about people paying that for a bird was "Wow, that same sum could buy 8 entire Thanksgiving meals for a needy families".

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 03:54:27 AM »

I didn't even know there was such a thing. I just bought a couple Honey Suckle White's for .58 a pound  :rotf:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »

I still can't wrap my head around the price.  Here in our little burg, our local food closet has a Thanksgiving drive to raise money to buy turkeys and dinners with all the fixings for families in need.  Employees from a big local company donate most of the fixings and it costs about $25 per family for the turkey and remaining food.  All I could think about when I read about people paying that for a bird was "Wow, that same sum could buy 8 entire Thanksgiving meals for a needy families".

I don’t begrudge people who ethically earn great wealth, but the way some spend it while standing amid great need is…is…obscene.*

* The least expensive Vacheron watch is around $12,000.  The top of the line is $1,500,000.  No wonder someone coined the phrase, “Eat the rich.”
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »

I have never heard of that high priced bird.   I bought a honey suckle for .78
Memphis Elite Smoking Brothers 24 in Premier

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »

Really this is no different than us crazies buying Wagyu Beef or Berkshire Pork. Heck I'm hoping SRF puts Wagyu Briskets back on sale so I can buy another one  ;D
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 10:59:28 PM »

I'm with you on the price. I guess it is all about creating a demand for something that people are willing to shell out money for.

Our local food pantry is handing out turkeys tomorrow night. The local Indian tribe is donating 30 of the turkeys. It's very generous of them and a bit ironic.

I figured that since I am going to be doing my turkey on the pellet grill early Thursday morning (and there should be room for at least a couple of others), I thought I would offer to let anyone recieving a turkey cook theirs with mine. Don't know if I will get any takers, but it would be fun if I did.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »

The local Indian tribe is donating 30 of the turkeys. It's very generous of them and a bit ironic.

I asked a Native American (First Nation, American Indian...) friend about his Thanksgiving plans.  His reply, "We don't celebrate that racist holiday."  I didn't probe deeper.
Paul

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »

I'm with you on the price. I guess it is all about creating a demand for something that people are willing to shell out money for.

Our local food pantry is handing out turkeys tomorrow night. The local Indian tribe is donating 30 of the turkeys. It's very generous of them and a bit ironic.

I figured that since I am going to be doing my turkey on the pellet grill early Thursday morning (and there should be room for at least a couple of others), I thought I would offer to let anyone receiving a turkey cook theirs with mine. Don't know if I will get any takers, but it would be fun if I did.

Our local (and of surprising high quality given the PNW) BBQ joint has two stick burner pits.  One must be 8 feet, another 14 or so.  I think 42 in diameter?  they are bigger than my  24x36 anyway.    They are selling smoked turkey's for $69 a piece for Thanksgiving day.  They sold out (ran out of capacity and put a halt on orders) in under a week a month ago. 

You'll have fun and your guests/customers will enjoy the end product or regret it later that they didn't take you up on it!.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »

[/quote]

You'll have fun and your guests/customers will enjoy the end product or regret it later that they didn't take you up on it!.

DK
[/quote]

Tonight we handed out 58 turkeys. Looks like two others are going to join me early Thursday morning. As it now stands, we will be smoking a total of four turkeys.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:47 AM »

Kristen, how about if you take one for the team and buy one?  Then you can tell us all if it's worth it. :lick:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up