Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Temp Probe locations on a Turkey  (Read 3409 times)

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
Temp Probe locations on a Turkey
« on: November 19, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »

Guys where do you place your temp probes on a turkey and at what temp do you pull it? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Temp Probe locations on a Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »

PROBE—WHITE MEAT
I put the probe deep into the breast and as far from of any bone as possible.  So, I insert it from the front, somewhat parallel to the spine (or where the spine was).

BTW, remove the wishbone, even if you’re roasting the bird whole.  It makes it easier to slice the white meat when carving.

PROBE—DARK MEAT
In the thigh, parallel to the bone, in the middle of the thickest muscle group. 

CAUTION
The temperature-sensing part of the probe is the sharp tip.  Nevertheless, leave as little of the probe exposed to pit air as possible.  The probe shank will heat up to your pit’s temperature and that heat will conduct down to the point to give you false higher readings.  It can’t be avoided completely, so double check temperatures with an instant-read thermometer.

TARGET TEMPERATURES
Debatable.

IMO the USDA guidelines are (1) based on the temperature that instantly kills bacteria and (2) is about 5°F higher than necessary.  So, for years I’ve used 160°F for white meat and 170°F for dark. 

This year, I’m lowering my target temperatures based on my study of sous vide data.  So, it will be 150°F for three minutes in the breast and dark meat will be 160°F for three minutes.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

rdsbucks

• "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »

PM that is some awesome information...I really appreciate it!
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »

"Thermoworks" has some excellent information on cooking fowl. Probe placement, pull temps etc..youtube info there too.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »

I agree with Paul's temperatures...but...We like the breast at about 160°, the wings at about 175°, the thighs at about 190°, and the legs at 200+° (fork tender).  So no more whole birds for me!

If I cook a turkey leg to 180° it will be like eating a rubber band, don't know why, maybe we just buy to cheap a turkey!

And if you cook your bird whole, dont use the plastic band on the legs or truss them, they will not cook properly!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:29:31 AM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »

Bentley, my proposed temperatures are significantly lower than your standards, which are apparently higher for tenderness.  (40° difference for legs!)

Do you think my proposed ITs will result in tough meat?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »

I think you are going to sous vide it 1st, and if that is correct and turkey comes out like beef, not at all.  Like I said, I have cooked Turkey legs and thighs to chicken like temperatures and it never works for me.  i have to have the legs at 200°+ for my tenderness scale. 

Will need to try a sous vide turkey next time they go on sale!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »

I think you are going to sous vide it 1st, and if that is correct and turkey comes out like beef, not at all.

No, I don't plan to SV the turkey.  It's just that I was thinking that I don't need to take it to as high a temperature for pasteurization if I hold a lower temperature long enough.  In this case, long enough is three minutes.

But now you have me worried that 150°/160° isn't enough to cook it properly.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »

I think you will be safe, and at the breast temperature, moist, tender and yet still firm the way I like it.  I think you will be safe on dark meat too, it is just for me, meat cooked to that temperature has never been tender enough!  That is the main reason I started brining, I could over cook (many have told me) the legs and thighs and not ruin them!

Catch-22!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:30:46 PM by Bentley »

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »

Not a safety issue, but many folks just don't like the texture of dark meat that's only cooked to 165.  Most like it 180F or even higher.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »

Hmmmm.  I'm rethinking my lower temperatures for this year.  I don't think my family will like chewy turkey.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »

You cant go by my standards, I think the thigh and leg is chewy at 180°...so take my posts as a person that likes his dark meat like he likes his pork shoulder.  Fall off the bone!

That is why next year, or maybe even sooner if they put turkey on sale for Christmas...I am gonna sous vide a whole bird, then roast it to finish!  I am done with traditional Thanksgiving cooking!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »

That is why next year, or maybe even sooner if they put turkey on sale for Christmas...I am gonna sous vide a whole bird, then roast it to finish!  I am done with traditional Thanksgiving cooking!

SVing a whole turkey may be problematic.  Here's the first of a 3-part video series on disjointing and SVing one.  I tried it on a chicken as preparation for a turkey.  It's tiring, but it produces a great meal.  It also wasted the back and wings.  (I was supposed to use them to make something but got distracted.)

I confess that I didn't sauté the thighs as this chef did.  I SVd and deep fried them.

My next one will be disjointed and smoke roasted.  Then vacuum packed and quick chilled.  I'll SV it to serving temperature on the day it's to be served.

EDIT:  I have no idea why I didn't post the link to the video I mentioned above.  Oh, well, better late than never.  Here's the missing link.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:57:38 AM by pmillen »
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »

My statement about whole bird was poorly worded.  I just meant to sous vide an entire bird, not whole, but by my wording is exactly how that reads.  I am not even sure I could get a big whole bird in a 15 inch bag, maybe a 12lber.  I went into Wal-mart last night and Butterball were .89¢/lb.

Maybe, as a take on your method, spatchcock, sous vide, then roast!

Man, did I ruin this poor members thread!

MysticRhythms

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »

I was trying to picture a turkey in a SV pot whole. Couldn't make it work in my mind.
I would have loved to see a picture of that.
Are you sure you don't want to try it, just for the entertainment value?
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up