Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash Chef Series Digital 10 Quart Sous Vide  (Read 1524 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Dash Chef Series Digital 10 Quart Sous Vide
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:34:49 PM »

Sam's has this for $100.  I am tempted to buy one for steaks and vegetables and use my stick circulators for bigger cuts of meats.  Anyone have any experience with this unit or a similar unit by a different brand?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Dash Chef Series Digital 10 Quart Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »

I have a Sous Vide Supreme, not sure how many quarts it holds, but I use it more than my sticks. I like that is it always set up and ready. I swap the water if something leaks, or every 3 or 4 cooks.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »

That's a really good price.  It's $20 to $80 higher from various Internet stores.  I've not heard of them before reading your post.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:31:38 PM »

I have a Sous Vide Supreme, not sure how many quarts it holds, but I use it more than my sticks. I like that is it always set up and ready. I swap the water if something leaks, or every 3 or 4 cooks.

It's 3 gallon capacity.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 04:29:14 PM »

I pulled the trigger on buying this unit today.  Will see how large a piece of meat will fit into it. I am hoping it will be great for vegetables and for reheating items.  If that is all I use it for, I will be happy.  If I can make some decent size cuts of meat in it, then even better.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:23:17 AM »

looks like a pretty neat unit. keep us posted

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:24:09 PM »

It arrived today.  I have not taken it out of the box yet to see how big of a piece of meat will fit in it.  Will be doing that in the next few hours.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »

Just unboxed the unit.  Going to put the tri-tip in it tomorrow that I smoked on Saturday.

Also going to try out the Anova that I bought a while back on a 2 bone rib roast

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 04:48:49 PM »

Had to cut the tri tip in half to fit into this unit.  Also, had to rig two new racks that I bought for my air fryer to use in place of the rack that came with the unit because the tri tip was too wide to fit in the units rack.  Looks to be working well.  I set it at 135° for 6 hours.  Unit did not start the timer until it hit the set temp.

Also, had to cut the ribs out of the rib roast and cut it in half to get my vac sealer to seal the bag.  Didn't work as whole roast bone in or bone out.  Got it going with the Anova wifi that I am using for the first time.  I set it at 135° for 6 hours.  Can track progress, edit time or temp, or turn the unit off via wifi connection through my phone.  Not sure if it will work from my phone outside of my wifi range or not.  May need to try that with someone near the unit one day.  It also did not start the timer until it hit set temp.  I think the Chefman stick starts the timer as soon as you press start.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »

I went to Sam's early evening yesterday and stopped for a few slices of pizza for dinner while the sous vide machines were running.  I checked the Anova app on my phone from the pizza shop and it was still connected.  After the six hour timer expired, it told me my food was ready and that it would hold it at the temp until I was ready to pull it.  So, apparently, I can edit time and temp or stop the machine remotely as long as I ensure it is connected to the home wifi before I leave the house.  I guess I could leave the house in the morning with the food in the water and Anova connected to the wifi and then start it remotely when I felt it needed to be turned on.  That may be a good experiment for me during the holidays.

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »

I guess I could leave the house in the morning with the food in the water and Anova connected to the wifi and then start it remotely when I felt it needed to be turned on.  That may be a good experiment for me during the holidays.

I love this feature,
I've found that while I've really enjoyed long sous vide cooks, my wife doesn't always like it (depending on cut)

my concern is food safety (above 40* and below 130*)
what I did to mitigate this:
put my food in my "FrankenCooler" (frozen usually) and fill it 3/4 way with ice, then fill it with COLD water (23 Quart)
install my Anova Sous vide

I'll start it from my phone in my car when I get off work
keeping in mind,  you need to add 1 hour or so for the water to get up to temp (as well as thaw the meat)

I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »

btw,
I'd not seen this "Dash Chef" countertop model,
but I know a couple people with the Sous vide supreme

I really like these units,
but cant free up anymore counter space for appliances
so I modified a cooler
it's big enough that I can fit a 18lb brisket in it (I use the same cooler to rest my briskets)
and it seems like it should help with efficiency

I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »

Sam's sells the 10qt Dash as online only.  I think it will be great for small reheating and vegetables.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »

Here is a nice double duty item. I wanted a new pot and they had this on sale. It had a nice heavy bottom and looks to be built solidly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SOUSV0/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up