Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2018
  • Looks like Myron Mixon has entered the pellet cooker game. Miron Mixon Barq Pellet Smokers. I cannot find much information about them online. SamsNWBBQ over here in Oregon has them priced on his website and some photos on his Facebook page. I am unsure about the rules for links. I am going to place the links here and if Bent removes them then you all just can just use Google. If anyone who is better at google than me can find any actual info on these. From the photos it looks like a solid build but with a simple controller. No up close shots of the controller.
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 26 Nov 2018
  • They have been in it for several years.  Bent did a performance evaluation on one for PH.
  • #3 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2018
  • They have been in it for several years.  Bent did a performance evaluation on one for PH.
    I believe this is a brand new product, not the older pitmaster Q  models that had his name on them. 
  • #4 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2018
  • Found a video on Facebook on the BBQ Beat Podcast back in Sept where they are talking about it. Interview with Mat Griner- Southern Q,  who appears to know about it. Listening to it now.... Looks like it is made in USA. 14g steel with double walled, fully welded cook chamber, (just typing as I listen to video, sorry for run-on sentence) made in Connecticut, didn't catch if they said by whom, has pellet clean out (dump),  20lb hopper, burn pot in the center, no grease bucket, slide out grease tray .... did not talk about controller at all... that's all I got out of the video.

• #5 by triplebq on 26 Nov 2018
  • I took a BBQ Cook class a few months back taught by Myron. He stated that he was coming out with a new home version pellet smoker that could fit full size pans. I believe he said he was going to have 3 sizes. I was impressed by the build quality of his Water and Gravity Feed smokers.
  • #6 by triplebq on 26 Nov 2018
  • Myron did mention the units would be built at the same factory as his Water and Gravity feed unit. I can't remember the name of the company.
  • #7 by Th3Batman86 on 26 Nov 2018
  • I have seen the water and gravity machines in person and agree with you that I was impressed with the quality of the units. The website does indeed list three different sizes. Sadly not a lot of other information.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 27 Nov 2018

•  How things change..A few years back, Myron was badmouthing pellet pits saying there was no way could they come close to stick burners. That was on a T V show during a completion...
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Nov 2018

•  How things change..A few years back, Myron was badmouthing pellet pits saying there was no way could they come close to stick burners. That was on a T V show during a completion...

I saw that show. Yeah, amazing how making money off of something gives you a whole different perspective. :pig:
  • #10 by Th3Batman86 on 27 Nov 2018

I saw that show. Yeah, amazing how making money off of something gives you a whole different perspective. :pig:

While I completely agree with the sentiment, I can’t get to upset with him choosing to have his products made in America. Would have been easy to do another Chinese Traeger clone and put his name on it like the old ones that had his name on them. These “look” (from photographs) like solid units that had some thought out into them. The kid design kind of reminds me of a Pitts and Spitts. Hopefully we can get some more info on them soon.
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Nov 2018
  • I don't care where he has them made.  What irritated me was him bad-mouthing pellet pits when he did not know what they were or how they cooked.  But, presto, someone offers you money to use your name and now you are a pellet pit maker -- right, I really believe that.  He still has probably never coked on one.
  • #12 by yorkdude on 27 Nov 2018
  • It also looks like he sells pellets as well?
    I agree with the $ comments, awfully funny how quickly ones perspective can change when that becomes part of the equation.
  • #13 by Th3Batman86 on 27 Nov 2018
  • I don't care where he has them made.  What irritated me was him bad-mouthing pellet pits when he did not know what they were or how they cooked.  But, presto, someone offers you money to use your name and now you are a pellet pit maker -- right, I really believe that.  He still has probably never coked on one.

Oh don’t misunderstand me. I am not a Myron fan. I find him to be completely off putting and just meh. Besides the pellet bashing (which I haven’t seen but can believe) he also preaches that cooking with a water pan is the best and only way to make good bbq. I’ve never really played with them but I feel like steaming your meat wouldn’t real get the same bark.
  • #14 by triplebq on 27 Nov 2018

• Oh don’t misunderstand me. I am not a Myron fan. I find him to be completely off putting and just meh. Besides the pellet bashing (which I haven’t seen but can believe) he also preaches that cooking with a water pan is the best and only way to make good bbq. I’ve never really played with them but I feel like steaming your meat wouldn’t real get the same bark.

I have cooked with a  water pan and you can get excellent bark. For me cooking with a water pan keeps moisture in the pit but it doesn't steam the meat.
  • #15 by dk117 on 27 Nov 2018
  • I am a Myron fan.  He's mellowed out quite a bit from the initial tv persona as a loud mouthed jerk.   There's no taking away his accomplishments nor contributions to the BBQ industry.   And yes he seems to be a capitalist.   I've got no problem with that, and I've got no problem with the people who don't like his mouth. 

Seems to me he's a family guy having a good time making money on BBQ.   Maybe some are jealous.  I know I am.

DK
Pages:
Actions