Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 31 Jul 2021
  • Just read this story about pork potentially disappearing from California, except for the wealthy that is:

"At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.

Animal welfare organizations for years have been pushing for more humane treatment of farm animals but the California rules could be a rare case of consumers clearly paying a price for their beliefs. With little time left to build new facilities, inseminate sows and process the offspring by January, it’s hard to see how the pork industry can adequately supply California, which consumes roughly 15% of all pork produced in the country.

“We are very concerned about the potential supply impacts and therefore cost increases,” said Matt Sutton, the public policy director for the California Restaurant Association. California's restaurants and groceries use about 255 million pounds of pork a month, but its farms produce only 45 million pounds, according to Rabobank, a global food and agriculture financial services company. The National Pork Producers Council has asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture for federal aid to help pay for retrofitting hog facilities around the nation to fill the gap. Hog farmers said they haven't complied because of the cost and because California hasn't yet issued formal regulations on how the new standards will be administered and enforced.

Barry Goodwin, an economist at North Carolina State University, estimated the extra costs at 15% more per animal for a farm with 1,000 breeding pigs.
    If half the pork supply was suddenly lost in California, bacon prices would jump 60%, meaning a $6 package would rise to about $9.60, according to a study by the Hatamiya Group, a consulting firm hired by opponents of the state proposition."

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 31 Jul 2021
  • Ouch!!!  Glad I have about 14 lbs of bacon I paid $2.40/lb for, and a few pork shoulders, loins, and ribs in the freezer.
  • #3 by W6YJ on 31 Jul 2021
  • And the pricing of pork in San Diego county has already doubled from what it was about four months ago. It was under $2/# and now is $4/# to $5/#.

Chicken breasts were also under $2/# and are now around $4/#.

I am not looking forward to next year's prices.
  • #4 by Mikro on 31 Jul 2021
  • I read that as well, won't be long that all meats will be off the table in Cali.  :rotf:
    mk
  • #5 by ylr on 31 Jul 2021
  • I wonder if there's a potential for black market pork in CA. Go to an RD in Vegas, fill a refrigerated truck with pork, and sell it to whomever in LA at a much higher price.
  • #6 by Mikro on 31 Jul 2021
  •  
    I wonder if there's a potential for black market pork in CA. Go to an RD in Vegas, fill a refrigerated truck with pork, and sell it to whomever in LA at a much higher price.
      :clap: :clap: ;D
  • #7 by jdmessner on 01 Aug 2021
  • This is just unbelievably crazy and just plain wrong. It is just one more example of how an ignorant, misguided (but well intended) public can be duped.

I knew several pork producers when we lived in Southern Michigan. They were talking years ago about these kind of regulations and how they would affect pork production in the future. At the time I thought it was merely speculation, but they were unfortunately right. Even under optimal conditions, the deck is already stacked against the farmer. They go to great lengths to comply with federal and state regulations and make sure their animals are tended to and taken care of properly. Their hog barns are meticulously cleaned and well maintained. This is their livelihood and they are not going to jeopardize the health and well being of their stock. The last thing they need is more oversight from the "Pigs are People Too" yahoos.
  • #8 by Bentley on 02 Aug 2021
  • I wonder how long before the next referendum?
  • #9 by GREG-B on 02 Aug 2021
  • As if anybody needs another reason to leave California.
  • #10 by yorkdude on 02 Aug 2021
  • I was born and raised in California, born in San Jose, moved to Los Gatos at 4 and left my folks house at 17. They stayed for about 7 -8 years, sold the house and moved to Medford, Oregon. You could not chase me with a blow torch to head back. Gwennie and I went back 4 years ago and in my estimation, they can have it. My, how times have changed. I at least have GREAT memories. Can’t tell you how many “Day on the Greens” I kinda remember. They were 3 day concerts with ALL the great bands, google Bill Graham presents”. Alioto’s on the pier, roller skating through Golden Gate park, using star nets through the night and bringing up so many Dungeness crabs, Big Dipper on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Ghirardielli factory and so many more. Aint like that anymore, at least it wasn’t 4 years ago and can only surmise it is worse.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 02 Aug 2021
  • I lived in Palm Springs in the late 60's/early 70's.  Was great then. Would want to live there now though.
    Used to love riding the motorcycle at 10 at night. It was only 90 degrees then.  ;D
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2021
  • I lived in Chula Vista in late 99-00 for about 15 months.  Loved the climate.
  • #13 by Bentley on 02 Aug 2021
  • Only went to one I remember.  Day On The Green #1: Journey, Santana, Toto, Gamma, The Tubes (June 26, 1982).  But I was into Mountain Aire at Calavares County Fairgrounds in Angels Camp.  Music and great Air shows with Art Sholl & Jimmy Franklin, may they both RIP.

Sunday, June 15, 1980. Doobie Brothers, Toto, Ambrosia, Huey Lewis & The News & 415.
    Sunday, June 6, 1982. Foreigner, Loverboy, Quarterflash & Eric Martin
    Sunday, June 5, 1983. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Night Ranger, Men at Work, & Stray Cats.
    Saturday, June 24, 1984.  The Cars, Huey Lewis & the News, Berlin, Ratt & REM.

Can’t tell you how many “Day on the Greens” I kinda remember.
  • #14 by JoeGrilling on 07 Aug 2021
  • Two Iowa senators are introducing legislation to prevent California from imposing it's will on other states regarding agricultural products.  Hopefully, the bill gets some traction in congress.

The Exposing Agricultural Trade Suppression (EATS) Act introduced by the Republicans senators would prohibit state and local governments from interfering with the production or manufacture of agricultural products in other states. This would prevent states like California from regulating how Iowa producers raise their pigs in order to sell pork in The Golden State. The bill would still allow state and local governments to regulate farming and ranching within their own state.
  • #15 by Bentley on 07 Aug 2021
  • I don't believe any producer has to comply.  I was under the impression it is a matter of comply or you can't sell your product in our State! And I am pretty sure that bill will fail as most States do not want to be dictated to by Washington.
Pages:
Actions