Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions About the New WiFi Controler  (Read 1017 times)

Hoosier Daddy

• Using less gas.
Questions About the New WiFi Controler
« on: December 01, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »

I'm finally getting around to ordering the new WiFi controller for my 680 and I have a few questions for those who have already upgraded their 680s. 

1.  Are you glad you did it and was it worth it? 

2.  Did you have any need to "recalibrate" the temp (as seen in Rec Tec videos)?  I know my Thermoworks Smoke differs slightly from my RTD.

3.  Are the built in food probes accurate?  I've read some posts on this site about needing a firmware upgrade to recalibrate the food probes?  I just ordered my new controller today so should it have the latest firmware?

I've gotten to "know my pit" and am very happy with it but also like all the new fancy features of the new controller like monitoring your pit from your cell phone. 

Thank you much,
Dan
Rec Tec 680 Weber 26" Kettle WSM

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
Re: Questions About the New WiFi Controler
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:25 AM »

I have no regret upgrading. I find my temps are closer to what they should be vs the old controller. The app is a bit clunky and needs some improvements, such as confirming a shutdown. I've accidentally shut it down without my knowledge by touching the "off" button, only to realize 10 minutes later. It would also be nice to have better graphing capabilities, as they are pretty rudimentary. Also adding cook profiles would be nice. My meat probes are pretty spot on, but I don't usually use them. The controllers they are shipping now, should have adjustable probe calibration, mine does (had it a few months now). It took a bit to relearn my pit, but it wasn't a real steep curve. $99 is a pretty good deal IMO.

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »

It's definitely worth it for $99.  I had to calibrate the temp but it was easy to do.  I feel like it produces more smoke at 180 to 250 than the original controller did.

The food probes are garbage.  Or it could be the ports.  I've calibrated them several times but for some reason they always seem to lose calibration.  They are unreliable. 

As DaisyCutter said the app is a little clunky and needs to be refreshed but it works.  They haven't updated it in many months.

Overall it's a good upgrade. 
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Hoosier Daddy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Plan to install it when it warms up a bit.
Rec Tec 680 Weber 26" Kettle WSM

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »

Def worth it, I just bought one and a project box to install one on my bullseye as well to make it easier on/off and using temp probes when I reverse sear.

They just had a sale a month or so ago and the wifi was $89ish.

KrautBurner

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »

Def worth it, I just bought one and a project box to install one on my bullseye as well to make it easier on/off and using temp probes when I reverse sear.

where did you get your project box?
is it aluminum, steel, or plastic?

do you know the demensions for cutting the hole for the controller?  and how deep the controller needs the box to be?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my Traeger 124 (and as it's an antique, I don't want to cut the front panel)
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

lamrith

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »

where did you get your project box?
is it aluminum, steel, or plastic?

do you know the demensions for cutting the hole for the controller?  and how deep the controller needs the box to be?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my Traeger 124 (and as it's an antique, I don't want to cut the front panel)
Not really.  I bought a box but I think it is way to big for what I wanted to do, still debating on if I want to use it or not so I have not cut anything.  I just grabbed one of of amazon.

KrautBurner

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »

I've been kicking around getting this controller for my Traeger

I was talking to my Father inlaw last night about his Traeger as well,

got on the Rec Tec site today,  and dont see the controller,
infact,   I only see the old controller https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-pid-controller/
not the Wi-Fi one

did something happen?
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

melaleuca727

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 03:47:56 AM »

Looks like they pulled it for separate purchase.

This used to be the link: https://www.rectecgrills.com/wi-pellet-wifi-controller-with-dual-meat-probes/

Maybe there is something on their facebook page about it.

Best you call Rec Tec directly.

KrautBurner

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »

yeah,

I was going to message them on FB directly,
but my work computer wasnt interested in having facebook work yesterday  :-[

KrautBurner

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »

Looks like they pulled it for separate purchase.

This used to be the link: https://www.rectecgrills.com/wi-pellet-wifi-controller-with-dual-meat-probes/

Maybe there is something on their facebook page about it.

Best you call Rec Tec directly.

I just messaged them

Quote from: Rec Tec Grills
"We are out of our online stock but you are able to order one over the phone if you give us a call at 706-922-0890"

melaleuca727

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »

Quote from: Rec Tec Grills
"We are out of our online stock but you are able to order one over the phone if you give us a call at 706-922-0890"

Kind of bizarre.

Pages: [1]   Go Up