Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide Sausage?  (Read 420 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Sous Vide Sausage?
« on: December 03, 2018, 01:42:19 PM »

Anyone ever sous vide sausage?  I was thinking of smoking some in the side chamber on my MAK and then sous vide.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Sous Vide Sausage?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »

My biggest problem with smoked sausage is that the casing seems to toughen up. Sous vide after L&S smoke should solve that problem.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »

>My biggest problem with smoked sausage is that the casing seems to toughen up.

Are you giving them a shower after smoking? That's what helped me with tough casings. Also, if you are letting them sit in the fridge overnight prior to smoking, let them warm up on the counter before going into the smoker, and start at the lower possible temp. That should help.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »

Are you giving them a shower after smoking? That's what helped me with tough casings. Also, if you are letting them sit in the fridge overnight prior to smoking, let them warm up on the counter before going into the smoker, and start at the lower possible temp. That should help.

No, I don't give them a shower but if it helps, I will next time. I always let them warm up a bit and also start at 150°, the lowest that I can go. Thanks for the advice. 
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 03:40:39 PM »

I would think there is no way you will ever get that casing to "snap" the way I like after sous vide.  Would seem like it would make it like rubber chicken skin.  Would be great for a boiled sausage like boudin I would think, where you squish the sausage out of the casing and eat!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »

From what I have briefly read 160° for about an hour seems to hold similar texture than smoking until they feel done on the pellet grill.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up