Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BC Buck on 04 Dec 2018
  • I have hedge rows at the farm. Learned the hard way not to stoke a wood stove with as much hedge as you would oak or hickory. Had that baby glowing red and all windows open. ??? Today was looking through Waltons supply catalog and noticed they offer 40lb bags of Osage Orange grilling pellets.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Dec 2018
  • I've used them before.  I used to like them on chicken.  Dennis at Smoke Daddy used to sell them.  I think he got them from some place in Kansas.  I wish I could get them at a low price again.

Thanks for the tip.  I may order some in the Spring.
  • #3 by sleebus.jones on 05 Dec 2018
  • Hm, I've got several of those xxxx trees on my property.  That wood burns hot, hot, hot.  You can always tell when it's in the burn pile by the glass-like tinkle it has when it burns.  Great for a fire, but man I hate the zillion green balls they drop...makes quite the gross mess out of the yard.
  • #4 by pmillen on 05 Dec 2018
  • Great for a fire, but man I hate the zillion green balls they drop...makes quite the gross mess out of the yard.

There's a use for that bizarre fruit.  Cut one in half and put a half in diagonal corners of your garage.  You won't have a cricket, spider or other insect.  I've often wondered if I could blend them, add water and make an organic spray repellent.  We'd see Osage Orange orchards if that could be done on a commercial scale.

An Osage Orange fence post lasts 100 years.  The Native Americans used them for bow wood.
  • #5 by yorkdude on 05 Dec 2018
  • Great for a fire, but man I hate the zillion green balls they drop...makes quite the gross mess out of the yard.

There's a use for that bizarre fruit.  Cut one in half and put a half in diagonal corners of your garage.  You won't have a cricket, spider or other insect.  I've often wondered if I could blend them, add water and make an organic spray repellent.  We'd see Osage Orange orchards if that could be done on a commercial scale.

An Osage Orange fence post lasts 100 years.  The Native Americans used them for bow wood.
    That does in fact work, we have a couple of the trees on our property, they are everywhere in Kansas.
    The mess they make is almost unbearable though, get awful tired of picking them up.
  • #6 by pmillen on 05 Dec 2018
  • I saw a bin of them in a grocery store produce department last Fall.  They didn't have a sign explaining the use.  They were gone a week later.

EDIT:  My son and I throw them at each other when we're hunting.  It disturbs the dogs, tho'.
  • #7 by sleebus.jones on 05 Dec 2018
  • Cut one in half and put a half in diagonal corners of your garage.

Yeah, that's because as it rots it smells like stale pee.   :puke:  The wood really is amazing.  And you are right about the uses for it.  The tree is also known as Bois D'arc, which pretty much tells ya what to use it for.
  • #8 by JeffCO on 16 Jan 2019
  • Branch Creek BBQ Wood Pellets is the manufacturer in KS.
  • #9 by GatorDave on 16 Jan 2019
  • Has anyone done a temperature reading on how hot they can get their pit with it?  I'm really curious about this for use in my Bullseye for cooking steaks and burgers.
  • #10 by BC Buck on 17 Jan 2019
  • Has anyone done a temperature reading on how hot they can get their pit with it?  I'm really curious about this for use in my Bullseye for cooking steaks and burgers.
    Your pits closed loop controller will only allow pit to reach set temp. Higher BTU woods reach that temp faster or using less pellets.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Jan 2019
    Your pits closed loop controller will only allow pit to reach set temp. Higher BTU woods reach that temp faster or using less pellets.

Have you tested this theory?
  • #12 by GatorDave on 17 Jan 2019

The Bullseye does't have a set temp.  It has a feed rate controller that you can adjust to try to hit a temperature, but no actual temperature control.
  • #13 by pmillen on 17 Jan 2019

The Bullseye does't have a set temp.  It has a feed rate controller that you can adjust to try to hit a temperature, but no actual temperature control.

This may be what GDave was driving at–

I think it's common sense that high BTU pellets will reach a higher temperature for a given amount of pellets.  If you wanted to bake a pizza at 900° on a winter day, low BTU pellets may not burn hot enough for the pit to get that hot, even though the controller constantly called for pellets.  High BTU pellets may reach that temperature.

But...I'm often wrong.  :2cents:
  • #14 by Bentley on 17 Jan 2019
  • I know nothing about wood...this is not mock orange is it?
  • #15 by pmillen on 17 Jan 2019
  • I think Mock Orange is Idaho's State Flower.

It's a bush that has flowers that smell like orange blossoms.  I don't think it bears fruit.

EDIT:  Osage Orange is an average sized tree with green pebbly fruit about the size of a softball.

Pages:
Actions