Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2018
  • Maybe it is because I know so little about cuts of beef, but I though this video was excellent!

How To Butcher An Entire Cow: Every Cut Of Meat Explained.
  • #2 by triplebq on 09 Dec 2018
  • I have watched this YouTube video a few times.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Dec 2018
  • interesting...thanks for sharing

i saved that and butchering a pig video to my favorites for future reference
  • #4 by hughver on 09 Dec 2018
  • Yes, by all means, thanks for sharing.
  • #5 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2018
  • There were cuts in there I have never seen, never heard of and pretty sure I have never tasted!
  • #6 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2018
  • Have you all eaten Denver steaks?
  • #7 by urnmor on 10 Dec 2018
  • Thank You It was very informative.  also did you notice he was wearing a chain vest to protect from knife cuts. 
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Dec 2018
  • Thank You It was very informative.  also did you notice he was wearing a chain vest to protect from knife cuts.

I found that interesting.  I wonder if it went down his leg as he was swinging those knives in and out of a holster on his hip pretty quick.  it looked like he had cut up a steer a few times in his life.
  • #9 by SmokinHandyman on 10 Dec 2018
  • Very interesting.
    He is very quick.
  • #10 by pmillen on 10 Dec 2018

The chain maille apron is essential because he often holds the knife with the blade down and pulls it toward himself, point first.
  • #11 by MustangBob on 10 Dec 2018
  • I liked how the video showed the difference between the two types of beef ribs available at the store -- one type is very meaty (plate ribs) and the other type is mostly stripped bones (back ribs).

He divided (with his saw) the short plate rib bones from the back ribs. Those meaty short plate ribs are also know as "side ribs" since they come from the side of the carcass. (They are similar to "spare ribs" on a pork carcass). The beef back ribs are initially attached to the cut known as a "rib roast" or as some say, "prime rib roast." When those back ribs are separated from the rib roast by meat processors, most of the meat is purposely left on the expensive roast portion leaving the back ribs "stripped" pretty clean of meat except that portion remaining between the bones.  If you separate the back ribs from the roast yourself, you can leave as much meat on the rib bones as you like.

I've heard many people complain about the lack of meat on beef ribs.  Of course, they're talking about those commercially "stripped" beef back ribs.

If you just want to buy beef ribs with lots of tasty meat attached to the bones, you can buy plate ribs!  Unfortunately, most grocery store meat departments cut down their slabs of plate ribs into individual ribs with shorter lengths for retail sales (aka beef short ribs), however you can always buy the original length meaty plate ribs as a slab of 4 ribs at butcher shops, Restaurant Depot, Chef'Store (US Foods), etc.
  • #12 by Bentley on 10 Dec 2018
  • Nothing worse then "fingered" beef back ribs, last time I had them they were .89¢/lb.  I bought a Rib Roast with the Bone on once and seperated it...just because I was in a Competition that had a beef rib category.  They were some of the meatiest I have ever had.

• #13 by GREG-B on 10 Dec 2018
  • I like it when he said "there's really no way to screw up when cutting up a beef because you can always use it for burger".  I do believe I would have a big pan of burger when I was done.
  • #14 by Bentley on 10 Dec 2018
  • I believe it is close...

Have you all eaten Denver steaks?

I've eaten a lot of steaks in Denver. Does that count?
  • #15 by BC Buck on 11 Dec 2018
  • Great video.
Pages:
Actions