Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018
  • this was a combo run of smoking both my Cured pork belly bacon and my father in laws Canadian bacon (same basic cure)

we did this on his Traeger Texas BBQ075 with the rack using LumberJack Pecan Pellets
    we Cold Smoked for 2 hours using the Smok'n Wedgie then Hot Smoked @170-180 ish for about 4 hours, then bumped to 200-225 till we got an IT of 155

first cooked up test was my first try at some Jalapeño Poppers stuffed with Garlic Cream Cheese, then sprinkled with Parmesan and wrapped in bacon

we learned this would be easier with thinner cut bacon
  • #2 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018
  • if anyone was curious about my cure

I've found myself (and my family) to be very content with my results using the LOCAL FOOD HEROES bacon calculator
    http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/

I select
    US REGULATIONS
    SKIN OFF
    I keep the default for nitrite in my curing salt @ 6.25% (I use Prague Powder #1)
    I lower the salt required in meat from 2.5% to 1.5-2% (I have found that most recipes are too salty for my family)
    and I keep the sugar required @ 1%

for flavor
    I then take the value equal to the salt content and divide it by 2
    I use that value to add Black Pepper, Granulated Garlic, and Mrs. Dash (I know Mrs. Dash sounds weird,  but I tried it on a whim, and it added a depth of flavor that everyone seems to like)

I then force my cure rubbed pork belly into a vacuum bag  (I realize that vacuum sealing isn't needed,  but I like the security that comes with that seal better than zip-lock type bags)
    vacuum out most of the air (I don't worry about any air bubbles as I'll be flipping it and rubbing it daily)
    then I double/triple seal the bag on both ends
    I mark one side with the date and place in fridge
    I flip/massage the belly each day (about the same time, normally before I head off to work) for 7-10 days
    (I cant taste a difference in 7/10 days, I just use whatever works for the day that would be convenient to smoke)
    after the cure,   I open up the vacuum bag and drain
    then I rinse off any seasoning sediment from the belly and pat it dry with paper towels
    place the belly on a cooling rack in a rimmed baking sheet in the fridge so air can get to all sides for a few hours (up to overnight)
    then,   commence to smoking to an IT of 155-160
    chill it well before slicing
  • #3 by KrautBurner on 13 Dec 2018
  • here's a small photo dump from my FaceBook

we first started smoking bacon while my wife, my father in law, and I were doing Whole-30,
    we couldn't find sugar/nitrite free bacon,   so we made our own
    it was good,  but never was just right (and normally too salty)

we did a lot of testing
    including side by side testing (same recipe but with/without pink salt)  btw, it makes a big difference
    we've done Maple syrup, Bourbon, Ghost Chili's, etc...   and finally came up with what I posted above

I don't wanna forget my 2 little helpers (tasters)
    my 8 year old boy, Cash and my 3 year old little girl, Reagan
Pages:
Actions