Poll: which pit do you suggest, and why?

Blaz'n Grid Iron - MSRP - $1449
Rec Tec - BULL RT-700 - MSRP $1798 (sale $1199)
Traeger XL  - MSRP $2000
Traeger Timberline  - MSRP  $2000
just build a custom monster pit and get it over with
other
I'm just here to laugh at people

Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by KrautBurner on 19 Dec 2018
  • now you're talking!   I think you need to assess how much money (protein, rub, injection, foil, pellets) are going into these cooks with 6 pellet grills all running at once.   If it's a bunch of $.98 a lb pork shoulders it might not be compelling.  When you go to Costco and purchase every single prime brisket  (4 briskets per each of the 6 pits, $50 a brisket, you just spent $1200 on protein alone) the discussion becomes more interesting.   

we've done $1200 in ribs for a single cook (+100 or so in pellets)

no way I can get 4 briskets on each of these little pits (the way we do them)
    but we have done 10 briskets at once, that was about $600  (+$100 or so in pellets)

one of the issues we find with running multiple pits is power
    trying not to have more than 3 pits in a single household circuit can be interesting with power cords run thru windows and all over the place

• #17 by bten on 19 Dec 2018
  • If you are going to be using this pit in different places, you need to consider mobility. The Blaz'n and others have comp carts/wheel kits. Any unit will be heavy.  If you move a standard pit with the standard wheels much, I don't think it will hold up.
  • #18 by KrautBurner on 19 Dec 2018
  • If you are going to be using this pit in different places, you need to consider mobility. The Blaz'n and others have comp carts/wheel kits. Any unit will be heavy.  If you move a standard pit with the standard wheels much, I don't think it will hold up.

yeah,

I have moved lots of Traegers with the spindley legs
    I'm probably going to get or make a bottom shelf for my Father in law's Texas
    at least my 124 has some leg bracing built in

but if I get a RecTec,  I'll hopefully drop the coin for the cart, that thing looks great
    I also like the cart setup on the Blaz'n with the pull handle and the pnumatic tires (but getting a flat could suck)

I'd also look into upgrading the wheels to airless utility wheels
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Dec 2018

yeah,

I have moved lots of Traegers with the spindley legs
    I'm probably going to get or make a bottom shelf for my Father in law's Texas
    at least my 124 has some leg bracing built in

but if I get a RecTec,  I'll hopefully drop the coin for the cart, that thing looks great
    I also like the cart setup on the Blaz'n with the pull handle and the pnumatic tires (but getting a flat could suck)

I'd also look into upgrading the wheels to airless utility wheels

I bought a used blazn a few years ago and swapped out the tube ties for airless utility wheels.  Much better IMO to get around on my patio.
  • #20 by KrautBurner on 03 Nov 2019
  • still cookin' with my old Traeger BBQ124

probably going to upgrade this winter
    pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a Yoder or a RecTec Bull
  • #21 by Bentley on 03 Nov 2019
  • Really have no idea how I missed this thread for 11 months.
  • #22 by okie smokie on 03 Nov 2019
  • still cookin' with my old Traeger BBQ124

probably going to upgrade this winter
    pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a Yoder or a RecTec Bull
    I would choose the Bull.  Lotsa room, stainless, and great service. Lotsa happy customers.  And price is right. Includes delivery. 
  • #23 by glitchy on 03 Nov 2019
  • You might take a look at the larger Traeger Ironwood. The P&S pits look beautiful. I only hear good things about RecTec. Also, the larger Weber coming out soon is rumored to be a 32-36 inch wide unit.
Pages:
Actions