Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ceramic Starters=Reliability?  (Read 2464 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Ceramic Starters=Reliability?
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »

Can't recall who recently asked for info on the reliability of the new ceramic starters.  I went to Blaz'n web site and watched the owner's video showing the new ceramic starter they have on all their grills (no retrofit for now).  Mark says that they slowly integrated them into their pits over the last couple of years and have never had a failure.  Also, he states that they have been tested (elsewhere?) up to 92,000 cycles without a failure.  I would say that is more than a lifetime of starts for any pit master on the same grill. Rec Tec has them on all their pits, now as well as Blaz'n. Not sure who else  has made the change.  Suspect they will be standard in the future, maybe except for the very cheap pits. 

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Ceramic Starters=Reliability?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:25:18 PM »

Does anyone know what the retrofit requirements are on the ceramic starters?  I have only been pellet cooking for a year and a half and have never had a starter issue but I keep spares around.  It would be just my luck to have a starter go out just before one of my wife's parties.  How long do the standard starters typically last.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »

The ceramic starters/igniters require a new fire pot due to the size of the igniter.

The non ceramic igniters vary drastically depending several factors such as igniter quality, cycles, environment such as heat exposure and contact w/ high PH ash..Several companies had batches of low life

igniters. To me that dictates a quality issue. I would guess a 2 to 4 year life could be expected from an metallic starter, however there are folks that have had igniters last much longer.

You don't require an igniter to start your pit! Your owners manual should tell how to do it, if not ask us.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »

I've got a Traeger Junior that's never had it's normal ignitor fail. I used that grill as my sole grill for 4 years... it got used partially for a 5th season, but doesn't get use these days.

It's my understanding, that the worst thing you can do with a ignitor is to turn it on , when the firepot is still hot.   Now, for the most part , none of us actually have the ability to control this part of things.   However, I personally disable mine on my PG500 sometimes when I cook at really low temperatures ( 170F or bellow ), because it has a 'auto relight' that will take place if the grill thinks it's temperature has droped bellow 140F . The grill can be fooled , thinking the grill is too cool, when you open the doors for long, while cooking at such low temperatures.  My PG500 is going on like 4 years old now, still got it's original igniter in it.

As for ceramics... at one point I was under the impression they never fail., but that's apparently not the case.   At one point I had seen some Rec Tec users say they had replaced their ceramic igniters with less then 4 years on them...   

So, in short... I'm not totally sure ceramic necessarily gets rid of 'quality' problems... and I know that quality must play a big role in longevity of igniters...   
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »

As for ceramics... at one point I was under the impression they never fail., but that's apparently not the case.   At one point I had seen some Rec Tec users say they had replaced their ceramic igniters with less then 4 years on them...   

So, in short... I'm not totally sure ceramic necessarily gets rid of 'quality' problems... and I know that quality must play a big role in longevity of igniters...   

Being mechanical, anything will fail.  By design, ceramic has a lot longer 'expected lifespan' than a standard igniter/hot rod.

Knock on wood.. :cool:, I have not had a igniter/hot rod fail.  I try to keep the burn pot clean, especially around the rod.  But it will fail some day, just when that is? 

I have also had to replace the igniter/glow plate on my furnace..  Parts fail, we just hope we get a long service life from them before they do..

Good Discussion...
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

okie smokie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »

I was under the impression that Rec Tec just started using the ceramics with their new 590 and 700 units this year, so where did you get this info?
Also, I agree that hot rods can last a long time.  However, I would prefer to not have to worry about replacing that part in the middle of the winter as I did last year.(lasted 2 1/2 yrs)  Yes you can start up without one, but who wants to?  I remember when cars had hand cranks? Very reliable! But who wants one now? Progress, progress. Keep in mind that I still have my GS and cannot retrofit with a ceramic starter and that I love my GS and will not need another pit for longer than I will last. In my next life I will not buy a pellet pit without a ceramic starter. Progress.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »

Being mechanical, anything will fail.  By design, ceramic has a lot longer 'expected lifespan' than a standard igniter/hot rod.

Any and all things made by man will fail at some point.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »

I retrofitted my MAK with the ceramic and its start up is MUCH faster than it was with the old style igniter.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »

I was under the impression that Rec Tec just started using the ceramics with their new 590 and 700 units this year, so where did you get this info?
Also, I agree that hot rods can last a long time.  However, I would prefer to not have to worry about replacing that part in the middle of the winter as I did last year.(lasted 2 1/2 yrs)  Yes you can start up without one, but who wants to?  I remember when cars had hand cranks? Very reliable! But who wants one now? Progress, progress. Keep in mind that I still have my GS and cannot retrofit with a ceramic starter and that I love my GS and will not need another pit for longer than I will last. In my next life I will not buy a pellet pit without a ceramic starter. Progress.
[/quote]

RecTec has been using Ceramic igniters for some time. Was one of their "better than everyone else" claims back when they only had the 680. My 680 has a ceramic igniter.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »

I have a ceramic starter in my 680 as well.

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »

RecTec has been using Ceramic igniters for some time. Was one of their "better than everyone else" claims back when they only had the 680. My 680 has a ceramic igniter.
[/quote]

RecTec only added the ceramic igniters to the 680 in March of 2017.  Thats the earliest that ceramic starters were used by them.  (Just spoke to them). So that is a year before the new units. 

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »

Regardless of how long Rec Tec has been providing them,   I know I've heard of at least a few people who had Rec Tec ceramic igniter rods fail.     If they have only had them for less then two year, based on the hype of how good ceramic igniters are,  I wouldn't have expected any failures.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »

I've got a Traeger Junior that's never had it's normal ignitor fail. I used that grill as my sole grill for 4 years... it got used partially for a 5th season, but doesn't get use these days.

It's my understanding, that the worst thing you can do with a ignitor is to turn it on , when the firepot is still hot.   Now, for the most part , none of us actually have the ability to control this part of things.   However, I personally disable mine on my PG500 sometimes when I cook at really low temperatures ( 170F or bellow ), because it has a 'auto relight' that will take place if the grill thinks it's temperature has droped bellow 140F . The grill can be fooled , thinking the grill is too cool, when you open the doors for long, while cooking at such low temperatures.  My PG500 is going on like 4 years old now, still got it's original igniter in it.

By "disable", do you mean an in series switch in the igniter circuit?  That would be handy to have to instantly isolate the igniter for trouble shooting or elimination in the case of a short.

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »

RecTec only added the ceramic igniters to the 680 in March of 2017.  Thats the earliest that ceramic starters were used by them.  (Just spoke to them). So that is a year before the new units.
[/quote]

I bow to your superior knowledge. I seemed to recall seeing them harp on that item for longer than that but who can keep track of time. I have had mine for a year with no trouble. Before that I had a traeger with a standard one for 3 years with no trouble. I did have another friend who replaced just about every electrical competent on his Traeger in the first two years so I guess just luck of the draw. I would think just anecdotally that ceramic should last longer. I believe it is MAK that puts some sort of lifetime guarantee on their ceramic igniter.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

92,000 starts is a lot...92,000/365 = 252.  Knowing my math skills, that cant be right?  252 years?  So you cant start it four times a day and it will last 63 years!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:28:05 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up