Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Dec 2018
  • I bought a pre-cooked ham at the grocery store last week.  I am thinking of making it into jerky.  I did a quick google search for ham jerky and it appears others have done it with good results.  I think I am going to give it a try.  Anyone else every make ham jerky before?  Any tips?
  • #2 by GREG-B on 18 Dec 2018
  • No, but it sounds intriguing.   You going to do it in the smoker or dehydrator?
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Dec 2018
  • No, but it sounds intriguing.   You going to do it in the smoker or dehydrator?

Both...my routine has become about 2 hours on the smoker and then 2-3 hours in the dehydrator.
  • #4 by jdmessner on 18 Dec 2018
  • I bought a pre-cooked ham at the grocery store last week.  I am thinking of making it into jerky.  I did a quick google search for ham jerky and it appears others have done it with good results.  I think I am going to give it a try.  Anyone else every make ham jerky before?  Any tips?

It is ironic that just this afternoon I was talking with someone who was complaining about his mother-in-law's cooking skills. He said her ham was dry enough to make jerky out of. We laughed it off as a joke, but it looks like the mother-in-law might have been on to something!
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 19 Dec 2018
  • This past Easter was the first time I had a spiral sliced ham, as I was cutting for serving I thought those are nice slices, uniform and good size, I wonder if I could make jerky out of it. I bought one last week and have not gotten to it yet. I am thinking just the dehydrator to start out.

Here is what I am planning on. cutting it up and dividing in half, soaking half of the slices in water for a couple of hours to remove some salt. For flavors I am doing plain, maybe some black pepper and garlic, and since I don't have honey powder use powdered sugar with some sriracha to make a sweet hot and just lightly brush it on one side.

Take what is left on the bone and maybe cook off and make some ham pot pie.
  • #6 by pz on 19 Dec 2018
  • No reason you can't do smoke and dehydrator both. I made a batch of beef jerky the other day starting it in the smoker, but after my initial wood smoke pan was consumed, I moved it to the dehydrator which made a perfect batch, not rotating of racks needed, and is my new favorite method of making dried meats. Super simple, and no babysitting required.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Dec 2018
  • No reason you can't do smoke and dehydrator both. I made a batch of beef jerky the other day starting it in the smoker, but after my initial wood smoke pan was consumed, I moved it to the dehydrator which made a perfect batch, not rotating of racks needed, and is my new favorite method of making dried meats. Super simple, and no babysitting required.

Yeah, my last few jerky cooks have been smoker first and then dehydrator.  I have 8# sliced pork loin going on tomorrow and then an 11# deer hinder quarter going on Friday.  Will probably have something on early next week and then again on Thursday of next week.  I have 90# of beef and pork in the freezer that I want to get turned into jerky before the new year if possible.
Pages:
Actions