Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GMG Apple Wood Blend  (Read 1457 times)

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
GMG Apple Wood Blend
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »

Has anyone ever used these?  I have not seen them, they must be somewhat new.  It says Apple, Hickory and Red Oak.  I not sure what the mix ratio is, but I like the sounds of the mix.  I was thinking about getting some to use on a Turkey.

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: GMG Apple Wood Blend
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure my father in law got these at @Costal
smelled good and tasted fine,   but created alot more ash than the Lumberjack we prefer

I'd still try them if they interest you

I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

egmont

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:35:40 PM »

They DO create more ash than the other Green Mountain pellets except the Texas blend which creates a LOT of ash. The Apple has a nice mild flavor and I really like it although I would probably go with Lumberjack apple if I had a source that was closer.
GMG Daniel Boone Weber Genesis E-330

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

Jumping in from the PNW....

I don't know why anyone would mix apple and hickory. Seems to be self defeating to me.

Apple has its place, and rightfully so. Why bastardize it with hickory?  ::)

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »

Jumping in from the PNW....

I don't know why anyone would mix apple and hickory. Seems to be self defeating to me.

Apple has its place, and rightfully so. Why bastardize it with hickory?  ::)

Please elaborate so I can understand what you are trying to get across.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  Just curious why you feel they shouldn't be mixed.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »

I’ve said many times that I can tell the difference in the aroma of various wood smokes but not in the tastes.  Mesquite aside, to me, smoke tastes like smoke.  But I notice a difference in the intensity of the flavor various woods lay down.  By that I mean that an equal amount of two varieties of burned wood will deliver two different amounts of the same flavor.

So, GMG offers a Red Oak, Hickory and Apple wood blend.  On my smoking wood flavor intensity scale (remember, to me the flavor is the same)–
        Apple…....Light smoke flavor intensity
        Red Oak…Midrange smoke flavor intensity
        Hickory….Moderately intense smoke flavor

I’m not attempting to speak on bobitis’ behalf, but it seems to me that these three similar flavors will combine to be somewhere near a midrange smoke flavor, depending on the percentages of each variety.  So what’s the point?  It’ll be something like pure Oak.

Unless GMG wants to use less oak by blending in some more intense and less intense woods.  That would be one way to make their Oak supply go further.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »

I’ve said many times that I can tell the difference in the aroma of various wood smokes but not in the tastes. Mesquite aside, to me, smoke tastes like smoke.  But I notice a difference in the intensity of the flavor various woods lay down.  By that I mean that an equal amount of two varieties of burned wood will deliver two different amounts of the same flavor.

I've said this many times
it's good to see someone else with the same experience

my mother in law is adamant that there is something in the TRAEGER brand pellets that she doesnt like the flavor of
but honestly,  I cant taste it
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church
Pages: [1]   Go Up