Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frankencooler for Sous Vide  (Read 684 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Frankencooler for Sous Vide
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »

I think I saw someone on here made one for their sous vide circulator.  I ordered the Coleman stackable cooler from Amazon.  I'm going to cut the hole in the lid when it arrives.  Anyone else make one?  What do you like or dislike about it?

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Frankencooler for Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »

I have one made from a 33 qt. stacker. I glued in a piece of 2 1/2" grey electrical conduit for stability. Fits my Anova circulator perfectly. Except for being large, it's the best sous vide container that I own.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:25:06 AM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »

I got the 48 can stacker. Just took out my butt ham this morning. I did not get a hole cit so I just clamped the circulator to the side. had an 8ish pound butt in on top of a rack. I preheated my water on the stove to 155, and put it in with the cold water that I couldn't get in the 2 pots I was using to heat, and put the meat in. I needed about 5 gallon to get me about half an inch over the min mark. We then covered the top with plastic wrap and I just laid the lid on top the best I could. about 36 hours at 135 temp help nice didn't need to add any water.

here is a pic of the butt in the cooler for reference. I may order up the 24 can but not sure it would be high enough. Also it looks like I would get the circulator maybe 2.5 inches lower when I cut my hole and remove the clamp.

hughver

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »

Also it looks like I would get the circulator maybe 2.5 inches lower when I cut my hole and remove the clamp.

In my setup, drew min/max lines with a sharpie on the inside and I cut the conduit so that they are equally spaced from the top and bottom.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:46:09 AM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »

I used a 24 can stacker.

Set it up a lot like hughver did except I cut the lid in the center and added hinges to it. Makes it easy to add or remove things.

Works well but it is a bit shallow. In hind sight the 33 or 48 would be better.
FE PG 1000

hughver

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »

… except I cut the lid in the center and added hinges to it. Makes it easy to add or remove things.

I considered the center but thought that I'd get better circulation with the circulator output pointing down one side rather than into a wall. I like the hinge idea, I could hinge mine from the circulator end.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:47:26 AM by hughver »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »

Cooler arrived late this morning and my Dad came up with his 2.5" hole saw.  The Anova slides in and out pretty easily.  The water would have to come up near the top of the 24 can cooler for it to be over the max line.  I drew the min/max lines with a sharpie.  I think it will work great.  I guess I will have to learn how to use the vac seal rolls to make my own bag for something large to cook.  I just bought another rib roast today.  Gonna probably make that this week.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

KrautBurner

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »

I've got one too,
I used the 23qt stacker (I plan on picking up one of the 33qt ones too, since my lid with the hole in it will fit both)

I love it

my anova goes right in the hole, I've got it in the corner as well

I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church
Pages: [1]   Go Up