Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by rdsbucks on 27 Dec 2018
  • I know you guys are feeling my pain but a $95 piece of meat got over cooked. I followed the recipe to the letter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5UbbswYps Honestly, I had some concerns that the finish temp seemed high: 145. But followed it anyway. It came out medium well-well. I had two probes in it, one shallow and one deep that read 145 and 138 respectively; maybe my Maverick is off. But it was such a disappointment. Will try again but I'm pulling it at 125-130.
  • #2 by urnmor on 27 Dec 2018
  • First I get your pain there is nothing like an expensive piece of beef ruined because it was over cooked.  That said I never cook my PR at that temperature nor to an internal temp of 145 degrees.  It almost sounds as if he was using FDA temps which is much higher than what most of us use when cooking meats. 
  • #3 by bregent on 27 Dec 2018
  • Yeah, that's a bummer.  The video got it all wrong. 145 is medium, not medium rare. And cooking at 350, it could have coasted another 8-10 degrees during the 20 minute rest, and finished between medium well and well done.

Did the guy in the video even use a thermometer? I never saw it.
  • #4 by KrautBurner on 27 Dec 2018
  • yeah,

145 is medium/medium well
    not to mention carryover (if it was near that when you pulled it)

I normally go for 122-125 or so (depending on how fast temp is coming up) , and tent with foil for fifteen min on beef roasts

the last couple times I did rib roasts,   I pulled about 122,   and if people wanted theirs done a little more,  I'd finish individual servings in a cast iron pan

any oven method can be recreated in a pellet grill
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/how-to-cook-prime-rib

• #5 by Mudflap on 27 Dec 2018
  • 350 seams High to me. I sear outside 15min a side at 500 than remove from grill and set temp to 190. Then cook until desired IT. Takes about 5-5 1/2 hrs 4 rib roast.

Mudflap
  • #6 by SmokinHandyman on 27 Dec 2018
  • I will put money on it that it still got ate!
  • #7 by sleebus.jones on 27 Dec 2018
  • 145 is medium, and will coast into medium well as it rests.  I pull all of mine at 125 and that coasts to a nice medium rare.  If anyone wants more I throw it under the broiler.  Sorry to hear about your experience, I've done that myself in the past.
  • #8 by rdsbucks on 27 Dec 2018
  • Thanks guys. I appreciate the insights.
  • #9 by Jimsbarbecue on 27 Dec 2018
  • My wife likes ours medium well. I cook the roast to 130-135. Using two probes like you did. When it gets to temp I pull it off the pellet grill and let it sit outside in the cold air. When the temp starts to drop I generally will give a fast sear before taking inside. The sear is over charcoal. This is what I did for Christmas.
    Should have mentioned it was about 30 minutes before the temps dropped. We cook ours bones removed and tied to make round in shape.
  • #10 by Canadian John on 28 Dec 2018
  • I know you guys are feeling my pain but a $95 piece of meat got over cooked. I followed the recipe to the letter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5UbbswYps Honestly, I had some concerns that the finish temp seemed high: 145. But followed it anyway. It came out medium well-well. I had two probes in it, one shallow and one deep that read 145 and 138 respectively; maybe my Maverick is off. But it was such a disappointment. Will try again but I'm pulling it at 125-130.
    Don't ignore carryover temperature...The more mass/thickness, the more carryover...Can always put put back if not quite done.  :2cents:
  • #11 by LowSlowJoe on 02 Jan 2019
  • I do mine to around 130F 

I never used to be, but I also get second opinion with a instant read.   Thermopop is what I use.  I own three now, just so that if I misplace one for a bit, I have backup.  I find that sometimes leave in thermometers can be deceiving, or down right wrong.  Best to check with a instant read , sometime before your leave in says it's done.
  • #12 by sleebus.jones on 04 Jan 2019
  • ... I also get second opinion with a instant read.

Absolutely this.  I usually start checking about 5° before the target temp.  I usually find that the probe location is a bit hotter than the rest of the meat.
  • #13 by pagesk on 03 Apr 2019
  • Too bad. The roast looks ruined in the video too.  Way to done for me.  Its a real disappointment..I smoked one on my big green egg. before I had the pellet cooker; and it was looking beautiful..I just had to pull it and take it to my MIL for dinner.  I put on my clean clothes and the roast was on fire.  It was a $100 roast.  Everyone still liked it but I was crushed my beautiful roast was medium well.

I don't think he gave particularly good advice either on the seasoning.  All that garlic on the outside isn't going to do much. most of it will fall off or be burnt on the outside if you cook it so hot.  I like to stick in a few crushed cloves between the meat and the bones before I tie it up.  Just salt and pepper on the outside.  I usually cook at a lower temperature 225F for more smoke flavor until its about 100F internal and then up the temperature to 350 to brown it. I take it off in the 120-125F range and grill it if someone wants a slice well done.
  • #14 by heffneil on 24 May 2019
  • Im a big fan of smokers but I bought one of those Ronco rotisseries and it is the BEST thing in the world for Prime Rib.  We use it all the time.  I smother the stuff in Montreal Steak seasoning.  It gets crispy good and the clean up is easy.  My wife loves the outside being charred.  It make the fat like a potato chip crunchy.  Its like 16 minutes a lb and usually comes out just right.  You can do 15 to be safe.  The only problem is that it can only hold about a 6 lb roast at the max....

Worth every penny just for the prime ribs.
Pages:
Actions