Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 06 Mar 2018
  • Don't know about other sites, but they aren't read here.  And I don't doubt that maybe owners have that ability.  It is not a matter of me assuring you I wont do it...I got a 997 on my SAT, and the only F I got in college was an IT class, you think I am capable of doing this?

If I felt the moderators were reading through my PMs specifically I'd probably be more offended but I never considered "private messages" actually private from those that manage the site.
  • #17 by slaga on 06 Mar 2018
  • So that folks on this forum are clear on this point -- all private messages are private.  I have been advised by our CIO that, as our forum is presently set up, we cannot access or view pm's nor would we do so even if we could.  That is simply beyond the pale.
    Whether you realize it or not you have access to every PM. Maybe not through the forum, but as the owner of pelletfan.com, you have access to the database. I am glad to hear you choose not to access the information, much less change it. But I have no doubt if one day you changed your mind (and I am quite sure you will not) you have access to the information. I am sure you have periodic back-ups to the site as well. It would be unwise not to. That said you even have access to some PMs that people have deleted in those back-ups.
  • #18 by slaga on 06 Mar 2018
  • Don't know about other sites, but they aren't read here.  And I don't doubt that maybe owners have that ability.  It is not a matter of me assuring you I wont do it...I got a 997 on my SAT, and the only F I got in college was an IT class, you think I am capable of doing this?

If I felt the moderators were reading through my PMs specifically I'd probably be more offended but I never considered "private messages" actually private from those that manage the site.
    You, and others, are taking this one quote out of context. Your intelligence or computer savvy is completely irrelevant. If you looked at the post I was commenting on when you quoted me, you would realize I was actually talking about admin at PH changing people's PMs and I was commenting on how I personally would feel if the editing of people's PMs was a broad stroke or specific to certain individuals at PH. I was not even talking about admin at pelletfan.com.

The point was A) As the owner, you have access to the database that is the very foundation of the site. That database has every PM, thread, post, etc. in it. You have access to it all. You own it. It is yours. B) If admin chooses to make a broad stroke and change every instance of the word "stick burner" to "evil stick burner" so that every post, PM, etc., where someone used the words "stick burner" it would now say "evil stick burner", that would be a mild invasion of the "Private" part of PM. It affects everyone equally. I would not be very offended personally even though it may affect some of my PMs. (Actually it would not affect a single PM I have but you get the point) C) If the admin actually sorted through the database to view/edit my personal messages only, for any reason, I would be considerably more offended. That was the point I was making. You have access and there are varying levels of offensiveness to admins editing any and all messages.

• #19 by pz on 06 Mar 2018
  • Anyone visiting a forum of any kind is subject to the honesty of the owners. There are two levels of administration in any forum - the first level is the forum software itself (in the case of PF and PH is SMF) and the second level is root access to the domain typically through cPanel. Access to the forum software does not give the administrators access to the private messages of any members. However, whomever takes care of the domain and has cPanel access also has phpmyadmin access to the SLQ database foundation of the forum, which confers access to any bit of data on the server, including anything "private". So as is often advised, anything on the Internet is subject to violation of some kind.

That said, in general I choose to believe that fan sites have owners that are honest and forthright, and I do not worry about any invasion of privacy - I do not send messages that I would consider of interest to anyone but myself and the recipient.
  • #20 by Ralphie on 06 Mar 2018
  • There is a difference between a site and a community. Although I’m sure valuable content remains archived there (for now), it appears to me that the community is here.
  • #21 by Bentley on 06 Mar 2018
  • I don't believe I am.

I took it to mean that as the owner of this site I have full access to all of its functions and one of those functions is the ability to do what you posted. And I agree with you, I guess I do.  So I don't believe you were accusing Pellet Fan of Nefarious actions...But what I heard was, because I had the access & ability to do it (even though I do, I have no clue) I was being lumped in with sites that do allow it, and to that I would take offense.  If that was not your intent, I believe it!

So as I have done some more research, if Pelletheads.com continues to use SMF, I guess it is possible for them to view PM's.  As I stated reading the thread in the link below I came to believe that you would not be able to do this...because it would never get put on SMF "code" or whatever the term would be.  But as I read through it, it appears the one participant reads his Members PM's all the time, and I am assuming (a big assumption, but why would they be on an SMF forum if he was not using it) he was using SMF for his forum, so after reading it I was left with the impression you can!

I have no idea if non SMF members will be allowed to read this? SMF Forum Topic:Setting to Allow Admin to Read Member PM's?

I guess in the end it all comes down to trust.

You, and others, are taking this one quote out of context.
  • #22 by Bentley on 06 Mar 2018
  • And I guess to make a post on the lighter side...why would I want to read PM's?  So I can get mad at people calling me a Richard and to go take a flying leap?  So that I can then ban that person?  I would have to probably ban everyone including Kristin!
  • #23 by sleebus.jones on 06 Mar 2018
  • calling me a Richard

That right there.  That gave me the LOLs.  :D
  • #24 by bmwhitetx on 06 Mar 2018
  • I was wanting to use the search feature on the old site so I signed up for an account weeks ago. Still waiting for approval and since I'm not a member no way to ask what's taking so long. I agree they are dead over there but they have a ton of useful ideas, mods, etc. buried over there. Found several useful tidbits on my new grill.
    • bmwhitetx
  • #25 by slaga on 06 Mar 2018
  • I don't believe I am.

I took it to mean that as the owner of this site I have full access to all of its functions and one of those functions is the ability to do what you posted. And I agree with you, I guess I do.  So I don't believe you were accusing Pellet Fan of Nefarious actions...But what I heard was, because I had the access & ability to do it (even though I do, I have no clue) I was being lumped in with sites that do allow it, and to that I would take offense.  If that was not your intent, I believe it!

So as I have done some more research, if Pelletheads.com continues to use SMF, I guess it is possible for them to view PM's.  As I stated reading the thread in the link below I came to believe that you would not be able to do this...because it would never get put on SMF "code" or whatever the term would be.  But as I read through it, it appears the one participant reads his Members PM's all the time, and I am assuming (a big assumption, but why would they be on an SMF forum if he was not using it) he was using SMF for his forum, so after reading it I was left with the impression you can!

I have no idea if non SMF members will be allowed to read this? SMF Forum Topic:Setting to Allow Admin to Read Member PM's?

I guess in the end it all comes down to trust.

You, and others, are taking this one quote out of context.

I could read the link.

I lumped you in with every other message board owner in that the ability to see our PMs is there, not that you actually looked at the PMs. Just because you (not just you but any message board owner)  can see them, does not mean you do read them. You never gave me any reason to think you read the PMs but just because you do not read them, does not mean you cannot read them. They are not private even if you do not read them, at least in my eyes.
  • #26 by Chris__M on 06 Mar 2018
  • And I guess to make a post on the lighter side...why would I want to read PM's?  So I can get mad at people calling me a Richard and to go take a flying leap?  So that I can then ban that person?  I would have to probably ban everyone including Kristin!

They always say that eavesdroppers never hear any good of themselves. :D
  • #27 by TechMOGogy on 06 Mar 2018
  • Wait... so what your sayin’ is that the interwebs are not 100% safe and private?
    Yikes!!
     ;)
  • #28 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Mar 2018
  • Wait... so what your sayin’ is that the interwebs are not 100% safe and private?
    Yikes!!
     ;)

Reminds me of Captain Renault from "Casablanca", as he pockets his bribe from the gambling at Rick's Cafe:  "I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in this place!"
  • #29 by Bobitis on 07 Aug 2018
  • I was a member on PH for years. There are mods here that mod there. At no time have I been able to get back on the site.
    When asking for help, none was available. Not that it wasn't asked... But it never came to fruition.
    One can only ask so much, and the 'leaders' fail to understand.
    The site is dead to me and many others. 
  • #30 by Bentley on 08 Aug 2018
  • Yeah, it sure seems to be lacking content anymore. 12 posts in 8 days is a little light.
Pages:
Actions