Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rectec question  (Read 1041 times)

Nomamm

• Lurker
Rectec question
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »

Newbie here, but a long time lurker. I have just about nailed down that I want a Rectec from everything I have read about the company.

Question regarding their stampede and bull and the way they vent. Is there a difference in heat and smoke because of the open vents on the stampede. Seems like holes across the back would allow more smoke and heat to evacuate faster then the single stack the bull has.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Re: Rectec question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:45:10 PM »

Hi Nomamm, glad to have you joining the party.  I have a RT 680 which is the older version of the Bull.  I have found my pit to be spot on from a temp perspective and puts out all the smoke I need for our taste.  I did not seal my door as some others have, and get some smoke seepage from the door, but that has not made a smoke difference on the food coming from the pit for me.  I personally have never cooked on a Stampede so others can chime in with better info than I can provide.  One thing to mention, there are other pit makers such as Memphis, who also do not have a stack but use vents built into the unit instead, and folks who have those cookers love them too.  Good luck with your choice.  There is no wrong choice, just the choice that is best for you and your needs. 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »

There are several pits that "vent across the back" vs a chimney..Across the back tends to even out the heat whereas the chimney at one end favours air flow from the fire pot to the chimney. Some

manufactures compensate for this with baffles, either fixed or adjustable. Hope this helps.  :D

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »

Forgot - WELCOME to Pellet Fan!

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »

Welcome to the group
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »

I own 6 pellet grills, two have smoke outlets across the back, others don't...   One is a Rec Tec Stampede.  There's virtually no difference... unless your talking about my PG500, which has a rather unique heat/smoke flow, so unique it's patented...    Other than the PG500, I do not believe the location of where the smoke exits is of any particular importance.   
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »

Newbie here, but a long time lurker. I have just about nailed down that I want a Rectec from everything I have read about the company.

Question regarding their stampede and bull and the way they vent. Is there a difference in heat and smoke because of the open vents on the stampede. Seems like holes across the back would allow more smoke and heat to evacuate faster then the single stack the bull has.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I think it is more "what is the combined area of the vents as compared to that of the single chimney?" The designer engineers probably consider heat production, air flow required to produce the desired smoke, heat and distribution.   Bet they are close to the same area of exit either way.  Smoke stack just has a bit more updraft created but the cap probably compensates for that.????? Maybe there is more even distribution of smoke. Bottom line: I don't know. 

Nomamm

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m considering the stampede but the bull looks mighty fine

Ralphie

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

Stampede is the only pellet grill I've ever had.  I only used stick burners previously and was nervous that I may lose smoke intensity with the pellet grill.  While I can't compare the Stampede to other pellet grills, I can say that the Stampede produces as much smoke, and cleaner smoke, as I'll ever need.  Very pleasantly surprised.

I love cooking the type of food that requires the grill to smoke at 225 degrees.  I don't miss the stick burners one bit...except for making fire occasionally because I'm a guy and I like playing with fire.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: [1]   Go Up