Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jan 2019
  • I heard back from Danson.  It is $14.10 plus shipping for each additional rack and the brackets for the Copperhead Series 5.  I am thinking of buying some additional racks to get more capacity to make jerky.  I think you can get about 2# per rack.  The unit comes with 5 racks.  I am debating whether 5 additional would be too many.  I am leaning toward maybe 3 more racks for a total of 8.  That would give me enough to make about 16# at a time.  I have got 10# on my Memphis with some creativity.  I can only get about 4# on the MAK.  Anyone else who has one of these grills have any thoughts?
  • #2 by yorkdude on 10 Jan 2019
  • I got the 3 series as a Christmas gift, it is a smoking machine.
    I also want to add racks, mine also came with 5 and I am going to add at least 3 but could also add 5.
    Just not sure how much it will inhibit the flow ?
    I wanted the bigger one but did not have the heart to tell my wife she got the wrong one.
    I did also got the cover and it is easy to put on and appears that it will last a few seasons anyway.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jan 2019
  • I got the 3 series as a Christmas gift, it is a smoking machine.
    I also want to add racks, mine also came with 5 and I am going to add at least 3 but could also add 5.
    Just not sure how much it will inhibit the flow ?
    I wanted the bigger one but did not have the heart to tell my wife she got the wrong one.
    I did also got the cover and it is easy to put on and appears that it will last a few seasons anyway.

Do not let it outside or cook in the rain.  You run the risk of water getting in the pellet dump door and making a big mess and ultimately jamming the auger.  Outside of those words of wisdom from personal experience, I think it is a very good machine for its price.  I look forward to fixing mine, adding some racks, and getting it back into operation.
  • #4 by yorkdude on 10 Jan 2019
  • I got the cover and am hoping that it will keep it dry, I have another tarp I can throw over it though.
    We just moved so trying to figure out where to put everything is a pain in the rear.
    So far, I love it. I can't wait to do some bacon on it.
  • #5 by slaga on 10 Jan 2019
  • I heard back from Danson.  It is $14.10 plus shipping for each additional rack and the brackets for the Copperhead Series 5.  I am thinking of buying some additional racks to get more capacity to make jerky.  I think you can get about 2# per rack.  The unit comes with 5 racks.  I am debating whether 5 additional would be too many.  I am leaning toward maybe 3 more racks for a total of 8.  That would give me enough to make about 16# at a time.  I have got 10# on my Memphis with some creativity.  I can only get about 4# on the MAK.  Anyone else who has one of these grills have any thoughts?

That is not a bad price at all. I have 9 shelves in mine. There are 20 holes on each side. The bottom one is for the drip pan. If you put a shelf on every other hole, that works out to 9 shelves total.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2466.msg30864#msg30864

• #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jan 2019
  • Does the bottom rack get too hot?
  • #7 by slaga on 10 Jan 2019
  • Does the bottom rack get too hot?

Probably, the bottom shelf is warmer than the rest. It takes about 8 hours give or take to smoke the jerky when I make it. I smoke the jerky on frog mats so every hour or so I go out and move everything down 1 shelf and spin the frog mats 180 degrees. Obviously the bottom shelf moves to the top. I have done this twice, filling up the top 7 shelves and everything is done at the same time. I keep the water pan pretty full too, filling it back up every couple hours. I also use a remote grill temp probe and adjust the controller on the grill so that the temp at the middle shelves is around 160* to 170* F. It all finishes at the same time but that is because I rotate everything every hour or so. Everything finishing at the same time is well worth the effort to rotate it, in my opinion.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jan 2019
  • good information
Pages:
Actions