Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's time folks, I need to consider a new grill  (Read 4900 times)

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
Re: It's time folks, I need to consider a new grill
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »

PG 500 has doors while the PG 1000 has a hood design. The PG1000 is insulated. There’s a bit more shelf space around the cooking area with the 1000. Cooking area is pretty much the same. What’s around it is quite different.

Ok that's what I was gathering I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I was missing.  I wish it also had a bigger cooking space along with all the other stuff.

I get the desire for more cooking space. I have had more cooking space...but I am yet to miss it with the PG500. And I wouldn't trade that amazing char broiler for more space. I just don't need it. That char broiler makes other pit comparisons almost unfair.
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

jacksdad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »

A few thoughts-
I wouldn’t spend 2-3k on a smoker that’s gonna have 3/4 of its use at 2hrs or less.  I also would not buy a smoker for 500+ degree grilling.  I most definitely would not buy a smoker that didn’t have a second shelf.

Well I did and I've never been happier.  Just because you think it wouldn't work for YOU doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else. 

Pretty sure OP was looking for opinions and experiences.  Would you prefer I didn’t share mine?

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:27:46 PM »

I have a PG500 that is coming up on 7 years old.  It is a great cooker and I love the fact that I can grill without have to move around grates or anything like that.  I also like the versatility of the zones in that I can cook steaks, baked potatoes, some sort of grilled vegetables, and warm a loaf of bread in the warming drawer all at the same time (also can warm a plate for the food on top of the grill on the flat surface).  I also like the ash dump drawer.  I have done 2 packers on the cooker (it takes a little bit of extra effort to rotate the briskets but not a big deal.  Lastly, I love the controller.  While wifi is nice for controlling some things I don't find it necessary for my cooker.  I prefer the ability to allow for bigger temp swings if I can get more smoke production.

As far as the OP goes, I would suggest that you list out your cooks that you typically do along with what you expect to do and see if one sort of cooker lends itself to those cooks.  Also, you might want to consider if others would be cooking on the cooker.  I know that my wife and daughter like the fact that they can turn on the cooker and not have to worry about moving around grates to grill some food.

Best of luck with your decision!

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:12 PM »

A few thoughts-
I wouldn’t spend 2-3k on a smoker that’s gonna have 3/4 of its use at 2hrs or less.  I also would not buy a smoker for 500+ degree grilling.  I most definitely would not buy a smoker that didn’t have a second shelf.

Well I did and I've never been happier.  Just because you think it wouldn't work for YOU doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else. 

Pretty sure OP was looking for opinions and experiences.  Would you prefer I didn’t share mine?

True and thanks for sharing everyone!

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »

Another PG500 owner here, and another very satisfied owner.  The charbroiler really does work exceptionally well.  Note I also have an FEC-100, so when I need more smoking space I have that covered... not everyone will have this option, though.
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »

Another PG500 owner here, and another very satisfied owner.  The charbroiler really does work exceptionally well.  Note I also have an FEC-100, so when I need more smoking space I have that covered... not everyone will have this option, though.

Yeah the PG500 is certainly high on my list.  So many decisions.  I may just say screw it all and go cheap and put getting a high end grill/smoker on hold for a couple of years.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »

I apologize if I missed it, but what is your current grill and why do you need to replace it? Maybe you could get a new controller or something to tide you over until you decide what you want for a high end. Maybe a set of GrillGrates is what you’re looking for? Or GMG’s pizza oven insert?

I’ve had 2 Traegers, a GMG, and now a Memphis and as far as food taste and appearance the only difference I’ve personally noticed the amount of ash different designs let fly around and potentially landi on you food. I can vouch that my Memphis produces the cleanest looking food that I’ve made. This was actually my biggest deciding factor in buying a high end grill. I looked at tons of other member’s finished food pics when I was deciding.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 06:00:14 AM »

I apologize if I missed it, but what is your current grill and why do you need to replace it? Maybe you could get a new controller or something to tide you over until you decide what you want for a high end. Maybe a set of GrillGrates is what you’re looking for? Or GMG’s pizza oven insert?

I’ve had 2 Traegers, a GMG, and now a Memphis and as far as food taste and appearance the only difference I’ve personally noticed the amount of ash different designs let fly around and potentially landi on you food. I can vouch that my Memphis produces the cleanest looking food that I’ve made. This was actually my biggest deciding factor in buying a high end grill. I looked at tons of other member’s finished food pics when I was deciding.

I wonder if that is because there is very little room for ash to build up in the fire pot of the Memphis versus that of most of the other pellet grills on the market.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 07:33:23 AM »

...the only difference I’ve personally noticed the amount of ash different designs let fly around and potentially landi on you food.

Well that's because you haven't used a PG500/1000   ;)
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »

It was number two on my list. I wanted more smoking space than it offered, especially since I had a Traeger Texas at that time. I’d love to have a Memphis and a PG500 though.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »

It was number two on my list. I wanted more smoking space than it offered, especially since I had a Traeger Texas at that time. I’d love to have a Memphis and a PG500 though.

Yeah, the size puts people off, for sure. I've had good luck so far though.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a CB024 and a FEC-100.  Then I'd be set for anything.   :cool:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:19:19 AM by sleebus.jones »
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

rdsbucks

• "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »

Yeah, the size puts people off, for sure. I've had good luck so far though.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a CB024 and a FEC-100.  Then I'd be set for anything.   :cool:

This!
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »

I rather like my combo of a PG500 along with an FEC-100.  The reason is that I have found that I am also using the PG500 for many baking type applications at 350F or 400F where I would previously use the indoor oven.  It works great at these temps, and you can easily manipulate this a bit to gain a bit more heat without changing settings on the grill by taking advantage of the natural zones.  While the FEC-100 will go upwards of 400F, I tend to never go north of 300F, and then I don't have to worry about grease fires if I've recently done a big pork butt cook or something similar.
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)

KrautBurner

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 12:57:46 AM »

Hey Maynerd !!

what did you decide?

Yeah the PG500 is certainly high on my list.  So many decisions.  I may just say screw it all and go cheap and put getting a high end grill/smoker on hold for a couple of years.

looking at your list of requirements,  I think this sounds like the PG500 would be a great way to go
I'd love to get one for myself,   but I feel that I need the space to cook more/bigger food  (it's really nice to be able to cook 2 briskets (if not more)
I'm personally looking at a REC-TEC RT700 (with the competition cart and the cold smoke box) or the Yoder 680
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »

You can PM Trooper if you have questions about the Memphis Advantage.  He also had a Mak at one time.
The Advantage is a nice pit.  I had one before upgrading to a Memohis Pro.

Al
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up