Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searzall  (Read 1369 times)

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Searzall
« on: January 15, 2019, 05:18:40 AM »

Has anyone purchased one of these Searzall attachments yet?  I just received a sous-vide for Christmas, and am looking at this one.  I think it will also do nicely for the reverse sear on my cooks.  Any firsthand info would be awesome.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Searzall
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:25:41 AM »

I bought one and gave it away to someone who repurposed it.  It's a joke.

See.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

slaga

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »

I used it a couple times and was not impressed with the results. I'll probably never use it again, at least for cooking...
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »

I was going to buy one, but then couldn't find anyone who really liked theirs.  Money saved!
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

GatorDave

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:35:49 PM »

See.

That's why I come here for info.  I do have a question though.  I have watched some youtube videos on it, and what the cooks on there say is that for a quicker sear, hold it very close (basically less than an inch from the meat), for a longer sear, hold it farther away.  Did you try the holding it closer method?

slaga

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:10:45 PM »

See.

That's why I come here for info.  I do have a question though.  I have watched some youtube videos on it, and what the cooks on there say is that for a quicker sear, hold it very close (basically less than an inch from the meat), for a longer sear, hold it farther away.  Did you try the holding it closer method?

The closer you held it to the food the stronger a flavor came through that my kids absolutely did not like. My older taste buds were not quite as offended. At close proximity, maybe the fuel was not burning as cleanly at the point where the flame was hitting the food? I did use the larger propane bottle and bought the larger of the recommended torches in the instructions.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

GatorDave

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »

See.

The closer you held it to the food the stronger a flavor came through that my kids absolutely did not like. My older taste buds were not quite as offended. At close proximity, maybe the fuel was not burning as cleanly at the point where the flame was hitting the food? I did use the larger propane bottle and bought the larger of the recommended torches in the instructions.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely have to take a pass on this.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »

I didn't hold it close, either.  There's a metal mesh at the open end of the SearZall cone.  It gets red hot and emits infrared heat.  But a bit of flame makes it past the mesh.  I kept the flame off of the steak I was trying to sear.

It went slow.  I thought that the steak may have been too wet from the juices that are captured in the SV process so I stopped three times to dry it.  No joy.

I had more than one steak to sear and could see that the first ones would cool while I was was searing the others.  so I finally used frying pans on my gasser.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up