Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Louisiana 900  (Read 2060 times)

martyhanson23

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Louisiana 900
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »

I bought a brand new Louisiana Grill 900 close to Thanksgiving, then I finally got to use it for the 1st time a week or so later.  I have smoked Cheese in the side cold smoker, Jalapeno poppers and chicken wings, and then I smoked more cheese again just the other day.  I smoked some St. Louis Ribs last weekend using the 3-2-1 method and they came out very good.  That temperature stayed on 225 the whole time.  I was impressed.  Most of the weather I've had while using it has been in the lower to upper 30's. 

At first use I had some temperature variations going on with it, but once it dialed in to the setpoint temp, it never moved.  But, so far I have been very impressed with it and enjoy using it.  My wife like's the fact she get's a break from cooking also.  :)   

Oh, I also smoked a few burgers the other day, had the temperature set to 225 for an hour.  Then I reverse seared them at a higher temperature just for a minute or so.  I could have taken the burgers out probably at 45 minutes, because there wasn't any pink in them, but they were still very good. 

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
Re: Louisiana 900
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »

I bought a brand new Louisiana Grill 900 close to Thanksgiving, then I finally got to use it for the 1st time a week or so later.  I have smoked Cheese in the side cold smoker, Jalapeno poppers and chicken wings, and then I smoked more cheese again just the other day.  I smoked some St. Louis Ribs last weekend using the 3-2-1 method and they came out very good.  That temperature stayed on 225 the whole time.  I was impressed.  Most of the weather I've had while using it has been in the lower to upper 30's. 

At first use I had some temperature variations going on with it, but once it dialed in to the setpoint temp, it never moved.  But, so far I have been very impressed with it and enjoy using it.  My wife like's the fact she get's a break from cooking also.  :)   

Oh, I also smoked a few burgers the other day, had the temperature set to 225 for an hour.  Then I reverse seared them at a higher temperature just for a minute or so.  I could have taken the burgers out probably at 45 minutes, because there wasn't any pink in them, but they were still very good.

Can you explain the dialing into the setpoint temp?  Also, can you comment on the searing ability?  I'm looking to sear steaks on this bad boy.  I bought it from Costco for $450 and I haven't opened it yet as I'm weighing out my options.  Sounds like your experience is positive so that's good. :)

martyhanson23

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »

I'm just an amateur at this whole wood pellet grill/smoker still, but from what I understand is, reverse searing is used when you want to get smoke into the meat for awhile till you reach a certain temperature, then when done smoking, you sear the meat at a high temperature to finish. 

I did this with the burgers, and they were really good.  Instead of smoking at 225 for an hour though, I think I could have taken them off the grill after 45 minutes, then seared.  I like a little bit of pink in my burgers, not too much though. 

If you read the owners manual, it suggests if you want your setpoint temperature at 225 or whatever, you should set the temp higher and let it get to that point, then bring the temp back down by setting the temp at what you wanted, and open the lid to help it come back down to the temp you want.  I had my cheese smoking, and the ribs, and the temperature never left 225 for over 5 hours during the process of the ribs once I got it to 225.   

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »

I'm just an amateur at this whole wood pellet grill/smoker still, but from what I understand is, reverse searing is used when you want to get smoke into the meat for awhile till you reach a certain temperature, then when done smoking, you sear the meat at a high temperature to finish. 

I did this with the burgers, and they were really good.  Instead of smoking at 225 for an hour though, I think I could have taken them off the grill after 45 minutes, then seared.  I like a little bit of pink in my burgers, not too much though. 

If you read the owners manual, it suggests if you want your setpoint temperature at 225 or whatever, you should set the temp higher and let it get to that point, then bring the temp back down by setting the temp at what you wanted, and open the lid to help it come back down to the temp you want.  I had my cheese smoking, and the ribs, and the temperature never left 225 for over 5 hours during the process of the ribs once I got it to 225.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I know what reverse searing is.  I am curious on how well the grill performed at searing the steak using their open flame diffuser thingy. :)  Were you able to get a rip roaring fire going and really sear your meats with that direct flame option open?

martyhanson23

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »

Oh, Ok   :)

For using it as little as I did, it worked really well.

I'm loving the LG 900 so far.

martyhanson23

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »

I have not cooked a steak on it yet. 

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »

We will need to see some photos.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

martyhanson23

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »

DO I KNOW YOU ROSS   :)  :)  :)

martyhanson23

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »

I'll try and get some pictures up buddy!!!!!

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »

I'll try and get some pictures up buddy!!!!!

Cook some steaks pronto and take pics as well! ;)

martyhanson23

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »

Some Pics

martyhanson23

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:21:39 PM »

Pics

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:56 PM »

what was the temp in the side chamber where you smoked the cheese?  it looks a little hotter than 90 degrees as some of the cheese looks like it started to deform
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »

DO I KNOW YOU ROSS   :)  :)  :)

You just might.  Nice looking smoker.  Heck of a deal at Costco.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

martyhanson23

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »

The cold smoker where I had the cheese, on the bottom,  said it was about 60-70 degrees.  The top of the box was around 90.  The only thing I can figure out is that Colby jack is a softer cheese to begin with?  It deformed some, but did not leave anything on the rack like it melted.

quote author=Bar-B-Lew link=topic=3586.msg43313#msg43313 date=1547602256]
what was the temp in the side chamber where you smoked the cheese?  it looks a little hotter than 90 degrees as some of the cheese looks like it started to deform
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up