Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by pmillen on 23 Feb 2019
  • The dogs suited up in their Ruffwear high-visibility harnesses and boots to protect their paws from the slush.

My dogs sometimes hunt in prickly pear and sand burr country but they have not learned to avoid them.  They just stop and hold a foot in the air until we pull the cactus needles or burrs out with the needle-nosed pliers we all have in our pockets.  I've not had good luck keeping similar boots on them, and when they're "thrown" they're usually lost.

It sounds as though the NYC dogs retained their boots.  Do you know what the handlers did to secure them?
  • #17 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Feb 2019
  • Sorry Paul, I don't know how they were secured.  I have read other post by graduates with guides who state that they will only use the Ruffwear brand of booties,  I don't know if that is because the bootie is better and stays on better or because the company is supportive of GEB. 

The CEO, Tom, is coming to Virginia in April to participate in a 5K in Richmond and then hopefully will come up to our area to meet with raisers.  I will try and remember to ask him how the booties are secured.
  • #18 by pmillen on 23 Feb 2019
  • I will try and remember to ask him how the booties are secured.

Thanks.  You may be able to tell by simply casually observing.
  • #19 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Mar 2019
  • GEB Dogs train for half marathon

Yes, I know I am breaking the rules, but what is the use of being the owner of the site if you can break the rules occasionally? ;D I thought folks might like to see a video of Tom running with a dog.  The trust between him and the dogs is incredible!
  • #20 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2019
  • I fixed it so you dont have to break the rules and post a facebook link...
  • #21 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Mar 2019
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

A very exciting night last night for all the Pups on Program in the Prince William Region.  We went to Dulles International Airport for training and were treated just superbly by the TSA (who arranged this all and validated our parking!!), Dulles International and United Airlines.  We arrived in baggage claim with all those smells, sites and noises, went up through TSA security, went up and down several sets of really long stairs, rode on the AeroTrain out to a remote terminal, got to go down a sky-ramp and then board an empty United plane and practice seating a dog.  Then returned via mobile lounge to the main terminal.  What a tremendous experience for our pups.  Thanks again to TSA and particularly Joel Bolton for making this possible.

Bent took a lot of photos and some video but I have trouble posting more than one photo, so I think he will post more later.
  • #22 by yorkdude on 22 Mar 2019
  • That is really neat, I bet the pups and the handlers had a blast.
  • #23 by pmillen on 22 Mar 2019
  • A smart looking group; dogs and handlers.
  • #24 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Mar 2019
  • We have 9 raisers and pups in our region and they all showed up for this training -- that might have been a first!  It lets you know what a special and unique experience this was for both raiser and pups!
  • #25 by Bentley on 22 Mar 2019
  • #26 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Mar 2019
  • In the first video going down the stairs, Sig is the youngest pup and wears a scarf instead of a vest.  I have a bad knee which means I go very slowly down steps -- not the best way to train a puppy on how to take steps.  So our regional manager took Sig on the steps for me.

On the plane -- what can I say?  Sig selected First Class, I guess he is just that kind of pup!!! :pig:
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Apr 2019
  • (Link is no longer valid)

Puppy cam of a GEB litter.  The Mom, Asti, was raised in our region.  Dozer was one of her puppies.
  • #28 by pmillen on 10 Apr 2019
  • Marcia and I watched that puppy cam...and watched...and watched.  We're still smiling.

It might be therapeutic if we're feeling down one day.
  • #29 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Apr 2019
  • Marcia and I watched that puppy cam...and watched...and watched.  We're still smiling.

It might be therapeutic if we're feeling down one day.

Yes, I have done the same.  I also like reading the posts they are now starting.  They said the puppies turn two weeks today and will be moved from the wading pool to a pen to help them start walking and gaining muscle strength.  They are also suppose to keep their eyes open longer and be more active from here on out, so I can only imagine how much time I will spend in the next 3 weeks watching this! (they go to the GEB center at 5 weeks to start training).
  • #30 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Apr 2019
  • Thought folks who were looking at the puppy cam might like an update -- they are 5 weeks old and they already try little harnesses on them to see how they will react.  So cute!

More Puppies!

This video shows the work an actual guide does.  But to understand what the dog is doing, you need to read the accompanying explanation of her actions.  It is amazing what these dogs can do and how they can be trained to think and make decisions.

Living With a Guide Dog
Pages:
Actions