Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Our GEB Puppy Sigmund  (Read 6407 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Our GEB Puppy Sigmund
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »

So he is on to his next phase of training?
He sure is a good looking dog.
I hope the rest of his training goes well for all involved.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »

No, he was just with another raiser for an extended sit.  She had him while we were on the cruise and the kept him for a few extra weeks to allow my shoulder more time to heal.  She is in public school admin and has a staff of 13, so Sig not only got to experience being in another home and around other dogs, he got to go to work with her for a month and be in that environment.  Just another great experience as part of his puppy raising.  He will most likely go for his "college entrance exam" sometime between the first of March and the first of May 2020.  Coming home will be boring I am sure!!!

yorkdude

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2019, 01:58:02 PM »

I get it, I should have paid more attention to the "beans aren't going to cut it part".
I got a question for you though, do places have to allow service animals in even though they are in training?
Or is is more of a decision that is made by the owners-managers-etc. of a location that the animal would visit?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »

Actual working dogs are covered by the ADA, puppies in training aren't.  So states have stepped forward to each pass their own laws re pups in training.  Some laws are very comprehensive and require pups in training to be treated the same as a working dog (i.e. Maryland).  Some are a bit more ambiguous and talk about the dog being given entry as long as they are with their "trainer" and some use language such as "professional trainer".

We can go nearly any place outside or on public streets. GEB instructs us to simply ask any place we go if we can come in with the pup -- restaurants, businesses, museums, etc.  I have yet to have any place refuse and so many are welcoming and helpful such as the U.S. Capitol Visitor's Center, Dulles International Airport, TSA.  They seem to recognize that the dogs need to have these experiences early in order to have a good chance at success.  And some places, like TSA, have benefitted because some of our pups who don't choose guidework go on to successful careers with the TSA.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »

After over a month away, Sig is back home and we are happy!!  I think he is too.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »

Dog hugs!  A great photograph.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2019, 02:55:36 PM »

Sigmund has had a busy afternoon. The Culpeper Downtown Association sponsor's a Christmas Open House every year and it was today. They have music and carolers, Santa and horse rides and even some miniture "therapy" horses (that was a new one for me, forgot to get a photo). Sig got to see it all and also some Christmas decorations. He was a good boy, even when the band started playing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" fairly loudly.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2019, 07:38:29 AM »

Sigmund has received his IFT (In For Training) test date -- April 14, 2020. It is equivalent to a college entrance exam.  If he passes, he will go into harness training where he will have to successfully complete 4 stages before he is matched with a visually impaired person.  If he doesn't pass, he will be considered for other career options as a working dog.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

yorkdude

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »

Since the date is set (I assume that means he shows great promise), does that change how you train him in order to make sure he is "top of his game" for the exam?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »

Every puppy that is raised is tested.  The test is suppose to reveal if they have promise or not ;).  The training remains the same because the test has very little to do with the things we train him for. 

The pups come into a big room (one at a time, by themselves) and are given a minute to "check out" the room.  It has various objects in it -- some they may have seen before like a table and chair, some they may not like small statutes and columns.  After a minute, a trainer comes in and does certain things -- calls his name and sees if he responds, someone throws the trainer a beach ball and it then rolls around the floor, a vacuum cleaner is turned on, a fake bird flys overhead, an umbrella is opened, etc.

I don't know anything about the level of training they do, but I think the test is designed to show does he get startled or nervous or frigthened or is he calm or even just curious.  Some things I can help prepare for like him being in the house while I vacuum and being on the street and hearing a loud truck or sirens, but I think they are more trying to judge temperment and attitude.

yorkdude

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »

Well I sure hope he does well.
Be awful neat to know he ended up helping someone, in any capacity.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »

Last night, several raisers got together at the Spotsy Towne Mall in Fredericksburg to watch the "sound and light show" in the outside mall area. We then went into the mall and worked the dogs and saw Santa (hope to post that photo later!). Boy was it crowded so a good experience for the pups. As always, I have no photos skills, but maybe you can get a feeling for all the lights aound us, some were flashing and the big Christmas tree changed color and had lights that went on and off. The lights were paired with music. They played carols,and songs from the Nutcracker and Polar Express. Dogs on the outimg ranged from 4 mos to 13 months -- Sig is now the old man of the group. Sig is at the far right being held by Nick so I could take a photo.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2019, 09:48:41 AM »

Sigmund's Christmas gift arrived in time -- a quick release tag clip.  I don't really need it to be a quick release, but I like that I can fasten it on his collar and don't have to try and put the O ring on the collar fasteners.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »

Such a good looking dog..Special in so many ways!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2020, 06:20:59 PM »

Sig's IFT date has been moved to March, so leaving a bit sooner. Today, we met up with some raisers at the USMC Museum in Quantico and I realized that I am now starting into what puppy raisers refer to as the "first of the lasts" phase of raising -- i.e. this will probably be the last outing to the Marine Corp Museum for Sig and me.  So a few photos to commerate.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up