Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by martyhanson23 on 24 Jan 2019

• Curious if anyone has been cooking/smoking in really cold temperatures and how their LG 900 has performed.  Do you guys buy a welders blanket or anything to help insulate? 

I wanted to smoke something this weekend, but the temps aren't even supposed to be above zero, and 20-30 below wind chills.    ??? ???
  • #2 by Fire708 on 24 Jan 2019
  • I have a CS-570. When it’s cold here, low 30’s, my Pellet use defiantly goes up and it takes a lot longer to get to temp. I cant imagine with a temp near zero. I’d say you’d definitely need a blanket. And wind will cause it to lose temp that much faster, the blanket may help with that also.
  • #3 by martyhanson23 on 24 Jan 2019

• Yah, it's supposed to get downright COLD.  Highs of -9 degrees on Tuesday/Wednesday this next week.  That's without the windchill.

I still wanting to do a brisket, prime rib, and some jerky.  1st time on the LG 900 all those will be.
  • #4 by Maynerd on 24 Jan 2019
  • My LG900 burns thru pellets pretty fast in mild climate weather (50s-60s) I don't know how you'd make it thru the night with that small 12lb hopper.
  • #5 by martyhanson23 on 24 Jan 2019

• Eventually I'll buy the extension for the hopper. 

I'm sure pellets burn way faster in cold weather no matter what grill your using. 

• #6 by Maynerd on 24 Jan 2019

• Eventually I'll buy the extension for the hopper. 

I'm sure pellets burn way faster in cold weather no matter what grill your using.

Yup they do burn faster the colder it gets out.  Especially with a single walled rig.  Do share what happened with your smoke this weekend. :)
  • #7 by Ross77 on 25 Jan 2019
  • Good luck....
  • #8 by martyhanson23 on 28 Jan 2019

• Yep
    I held off over the weekend and didn't smoke anything, little too cold.  Supposed to be way colder tomorrow and Wednesday.  But, a warm up just in time for the weekend and Superbowl to smoke something.......  REAL NICE!!!!!!!!  As Uncle Eddie would say in Christmas Vaction!!!!!!   LOL
  • #9 by MSOLSON on 28 Jan 2019
  • I've got a welder's blanket, it helps cut down pellet consumption. The only other caution in cold weather start ups is do not open lid until temp is above 160 (Roanoke controller in my Blaz'n) or you run the risk of a no light error code (ER-2 temp not above 150 in 30 minutes). Yup it was cold.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jan 2019
  • These are the reasons I cook in November/December, vac seal, and freeze to eat so I don't have to go outside to cook.
  • #11 by martyhanson23 on 29 Jan 2019

• Supposed to be back up in the 30's by this weekend, so it's all good!!!!

Just in time for the SuperBowl.

• #12 by wyd on 22 Feb 2020
  • For those that haven't checked the Louisiana Pellet website they now make custom fit covers that fit the LG Series for cold weather grilling.  I didn't get one yet since I just moved and didn't get to grill in the colder weather like years past but If I keep my grill and don't look at other options I will be getting one of the covers for it.

https://louisiana-grills.com/covers/
Pages:
Actions