Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 24 Jan 2019
  • All Teflon items are being thrown out of my house.  We think Frogmats are Teflon coated.

We're probably going to use the silicone Masterbuilt Fish and Vegetable Mats.  Are there any other good non-Teflon alternatives?

• #2 by Bobitis on 24 Jan 2019
  • All Teflon items are being thrown out of my house.  We think Frogmats are Teflon coated.

We're probably going to use the silicone Masterbuilt Fish and Vegetable Mats.  Are there any other good non-Teflon alternatives?

Mind if I ask why?
  • #3 by triplebq on 24 Jan 2019

Mind if I ask why?

You beat me to it. Is Teflon bad for you?
  • #4 by pmillen on 24 Jan 2019
  • I believe that DuPont knowingly continued to poison the Parkersburg, West Virginia DuPont employees who worked to make Teflon, as well as the general Ohio River Valley population, with Teflon manufacturing residue.  (DuPont paid $343 million to settle the Teflon class action lawsuit.)

I’ve decided to avoid using DuPont's products to the extent possible.  And I will certainly not purchase anything that puts money into their revenue streams. 

Almost every Teflon-coated pan more than a few years old shows signs of the non-stick surface being scratched off.  I don’t necessarily believe that ingesting it represents a health risk, but I don’t care to eat it, and I don’t want my friends and family to eat it.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Jan 2019
  • I would guess the patent has expired and "teflon" is being made by more than DuPont at this point.  I buy cheap frogmats on ebay from China.  No telling how soon I'm going to die from them.
  • #6 by triplebq on 24 Jan 2019
  • I believe that DuPont knowingly continued to poison the Parkersburg, West Virginia DuPont employees who worked to make Teflon, as well as the general Ohio River Valley population, with Teflon manufacturing residue.  (DuPont paid $343 million to settle the Teflon class action lawsuit.)

I’ve decided to avoid using DuPont's products to the extent possible.  And I will certainly not purchase anything that puts money into their revenue streams. 

Almost every Teflon-coated pan more than a few years old shows signs of the non-stick surface being scratched off.  I don’t necessarily believe that ingesting it represents a health risk, but I don’t care to eat it, and I don’t want my friends and family to eat it.

Gotcha, makes sense.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 25 Jan 2019

Teflon coated fiberglass..Silicone has its high temperature limits as well..The only material I know of that is safe is stainless steel..Flat perforated trays work well, especially after several uses.. :2cents:
  • #8 by Ross77 on 25 Jan 2019
  • I’ve been using this. Fits nicely in a half sheet pan.

Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0M2TSC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B4YsCb7TBA4XB
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2019

Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0M2TSC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B4YsCb7TBA4XB

How do you clean it?
  • #10 by triplebq on 25 Jan 2019
  • I have some similar racks and they are a PAIN to clean. I don't use them much anymore.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2019
  • I have some similar racks and they are a PAIN to clean. I don't use them much anymore.

That's why I had asked my question to Ross.
  • #12 by Bentley on 25 Jan 2019
  • Yeah, that non stick stuff is hard to beat.  I know there were Q-mats, but I believe same coating.  GMG used to sell some, but again I would venture to guess same material.  Some silicone is rate at 600°F I believe, but the baking mats are the only thing I know of that is made of it, and they top out at about 475°.
  • #13 by Ross77 on 25 Jan 2019
  • I spray it with cooking spray before placing the food on it. It’s no harder to clean than the other mats in my opinion.
  • #14 by Th3Batman86 on 25 Jan 2019

I use the materbuilt mats for jerky, they work well for me, you should have no problem.
  • #15 by pmillen on 25 Jan 2019

They look like nice racks.
Pages:
Actions