Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone try Butcherbox?  (Read 1267 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Anyone try Butcherbox?
« on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:23 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, they keep doing extra ‘for life’ offers and was wondering if it’s any good? I think it’s grass fed beef, free range chicken, heritage pork. Current offer is free wings for life, I probably should have joined when it was bacon though.

MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Ross77

Re: Anyone try Butcherbox?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »

I looked into it and determined it was cheaper to buy grass fed beef locally. I believe the butcher box meat is frozen.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »

I checked thing as well. I’m OK with the frozen deal with the beef. The beef I eat has usually been frozen at one time or another.

But I found that I didn’t care for arrangements where the outfit continues to send products on a regular monthly basis (whether I want/need it or not. And then helps themselves to the billing with your CC#. This requires you to pay attention and cancel before the next shipment.
No thanks.
 There is a lot of quality meat out there that I can just order whenever I want/need. That’s the way I prefer to do business.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

glitchy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »

Yeah, I had the concerns about the regular shipments too. If it really is that good, I'm not sure that would bother me because I'd probably pick every 2 months and actually want it that often anyway if not monthly. Almost every review I've read is stupidly glowing though by bloggers and such except for one set of comments on Reddit where people talk about rotten meat, many packages having small cuts and leaking all over the fridge when thawing, company not fixing issues then, but on the next order, etc. However, it's the only negative feedback I've come across, but was several people repeating most of the concerns. I don't know what exactly to think. Are they really that good or just really good at snuffing out any negative press.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »

All I know is never trust a "Foodies" review of anything related to food.  They don't cook, and they have no idea what quality or good food is!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »

I don't get it...

I get nowhere on their site that gives me any info on their offerings. Just 'free wings' with every order placed. Am I to enter my e-mail to get further in the process? Um... Sorry!
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

glitchy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »

Yes, you do have to give them your email to look at the boxes.

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »

And that is a non-starter for me. It smacks of abuse.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Ross77

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »

And that is a non-starter for me. It smacks of abuse.

I have a dedicated hotmail.com email I use for marketing stuff like this.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

glitchy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 01:22:46 AM »

There’s a Groupon for a $99 custom box and there was an additional $15 Groupon coupon today, so I’m gave it a shot. I was still able to get in on the free ground beef forever too. I signed up initially for 2 months so hopefully I can try quite a bit before my second order is due. I’ll update here. They didn’t have baby backs, so only pork I ordered was a 5.5 butt. Rest was steaks, tri-tip and a chuck roast. I live in prime corn fed country so hopefully I can figure out how to cook this stuff right to give it a fair shake. It ain’t cheap, so if any issues it will be one and done.

glitchy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 09:58:29 PM »

Weather has finally warmed up enough to start trying this meat. I don’t have finished pics of the first couple cooks, but will try better on future. So, far nothing worth the cost to me. I cooked one of their pork butts yesterday alongside a typical hormel butt from the local grocery store. The butcherbox butt had quite a bit more flavor than the hormel, but was dryer. It wasn’t dry, but considerably dryer than the comparison. I contribute it to not being packaged in a solution and not being 100 pecenr thawed when I started it. I liked the enhanced flavor over the hormel though.

Today I cooked the chuck roast. I cooked at 250 until IT of 194. I usually go to 202, but kids were hungry and when I checked it, it already looked over cooked. I let it rest in foil about 45 minutes. It was much dryer and tougher than my usual choice grade chucks that I usually cook to 200-202 IT at 250-275. I’m guessing grass chuck has to be cooked very differently.

Here’s what my order looked like unpacked:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »

Good intel!

glitchy

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 01:47:41 AM »

Cooked the ribeyes last night on my Weber. They were far from anything special. They weren’t bad steaks, but for the $16.30/lb they equate to, I’ll buy prime steaks at Costco. Fastest cooking steaks I’ve ever had, 8 minutes had them to medium.

My final review is unless you really desire grass fed beef, it’s probably not worth it. I canceled my account. If you do desire to try it, try to get a deal on Groupon so you don’t pay full price on first order. I’m glad I tried it for a little over half price.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

That is Costco, USDA Choice Tenderloin, and for me that is it!

...$16.30/lb they equate to...
Pages: [1]   Go Up