Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 25 Jan 2019

•  Definitely not a question for our southern brethren...Does any know the location to install the cartridge block heater in the (A25A-FKS) 4 cylinder engine?? 
  • #2 by pmillen on 25 Jan 2019
  • Reminds me of the years I spent in MN & ND.  Good years.  I'd move back in a heartbeat but I'd be alone up there.
  • #3 by smokin soon on 25 Jan 2019
  • I tried to pull it up on Mitchell Online and found no mention of it. Is it a factory option?
  • #4 by Bentley on 25 Jan 2019
  • As close as I could get...

Installing Kats Heater KH11813 on 2016 Toyota Camry 2.5L

Question:
    Where is the install location for this product on a 2016 Camry 2.5L non-Hybrid and what is the easiest way to access it?

asked by: John B

Helpful Expert Reply:
    To install the Kat's Heaters Custom Fit Engine Block Heater # KH11813 you will simply need to locate the cartridge hole on the engine block. After you find the cartridge hole you will want to clean it out with an air compressor.

I spoke with my contact at Kat's Heaters and it will be located at the Rear Left location on your engine block. If you are sitting inside your Camry the it will be the rear (towards you) left corner from that orientation.

Once that is done you will want to make sure that you route any wires away from hot or moving parts.
  • #5 by pmillen on 26 Jan 2019
  • I used to have a heater installed in the water hose rather than the block.  Would that work for you?
  • #6 by bel4_20 on 26 Jan 2019

•  Definitely not a question for our southern brethren...Does any know the location to install the cartridge block heater in the (A25A-FKS) 4 cylinder engine??

John, most almost all newer cars here in Canada do not come with a block heater anymore if you go online to any dealer and price a car or truck out the block heater is alaways an option now.
  • #7 by bgbdwlf1500 on 26 Jan 2019

Wouldnt think its needed on a small 4 cylinder, they will warm up quickly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #8 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2019
  • I thought a block heater was more so that it would start in the morning.
  • #9 by bgbdwlf1500 on 26 Jan 2019
    It is but on a small gas engine they aren't usually needed. Block heater more for diesels in the cold

• #10 by pmillen on 26 Jan 2019
    It is but on a small gas engine they aren't usually needed. Block heater more for diesels in the cold

Big Bad Wolf, it's been almost 50 years since I moved south of the 45th parallel,  but when I lived up there, engine block heaters were usually needed on four-cycle engines that sat outdoors.  I'm certain that modern engine management systems and synthetic oil have helped immensely, but engines are difficult to start at -30°F and below, and batteries lose 50% of their power at -22°F.

I see that you live in Charleston, SC now.  You may have had a different experience in severe cold.  What was it?

EDIT:  Added to last paragraph.
  • #11 by jdmessner on 26 Jan 2019

• There's a blast from the past. I wrote the original version of their online imaging software a bunch of years ago.  :)

I never cease to be amazed at the insight, talent, and knowledge on this site!
  • #12 by bgbdwlf1500 on 26 Jan 2019

Big Bad Wolf, it's been almost 50 years since I moved south of the 45th parallel,  but when I lived up there, engine block heaters were usually needed on four-cycle engines that sat outdoors.  I'm certain that modern engine management systems and synthetic oil have helped immensely, but engines are difficult to start at -30°F and below, and batteries lose 50% of their power at -22°F.

I see that you live in Charleston, SC now.  You may have had a different experience in severe cold.  What was it?

EDIT:  Added to last paragraph.
    I lived in va and moved to sc in 2009. My point was I dont think block heaters are needed on small gas engines in extreme cold. The theory in my opinion on block heaters was to keep the oil warm to thin it when cranking.

• #13 by Canadian John on 27 Jan 2019

•  Some of the reasons I prefer to use an engine block heater: An engine warmed by a block heater will warm-up more quickly providing cabin heat sooner and use less fuel as the engine temp is arrived at

sooner. Engine wear should also be reduced and the load on the battery less..It is also reassuring @ -40º the vehicle will start..Depending on the ambient, a plug-in time of 2 to 3HRS is sufficient. The heaters

usually run 100 watts/ cylinder. 100W x 3HRS = .3KWH. Not too costly for the above mentioned gaines.  There has not been an issue starting. As Paul stated, modern engines.....The new Toyota engines are

lubricated using a 0W-16 oil. That' almost like diluted water so viscous drag compared to a 5W/30 or 0W/20 is less. If you think 0W- 16 is low viscosity, 0W-8 is on the way.

The Toyota block heater is in the $250.00 range plus 13% tax. It ia s cartridge unit that fits most of their engines. I can purchase the heater for under $50.00 from one of the heater manufacturers who don't

know the placement location.. I just need to locate the hole to install it..This is the all new AK25H-FKS engine introduced in the Camry in 2018.  The Toyota dealer isn't willing to divulge the information unless

I purchase the heater from them...I see their point. Just feel it way over priced.. :2cents:
  • #14 by pmillen on 27 Jan 2019
  • I don't see how that location can be kept a secret within Toyota forever.  Too many people know.

Does anyone have a Toyota mechanic friend?
  • #15 by ylr on 27 Jan 2019
  • My guess would be to look up a Toyota owner's forum, preferably Camry-specific. Usually there's a Toyota mechanic that contributes on some of these.
Pages:
Actions