Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 27 Jan 2019
  • Hello from sunny Southern California where we grill year round in our shorts and tee shirts.

I am new to pellet smoking having spent my grilling time with Weber kettles.

Starting to smoke was kind of accidental. Every year, during Thanksgiving and Christmas, my local market sells rib roast for really cheap, $4.99/pound.

We often buy a couple. This past Thanksgiving we did a rib roast on Thanksgiving day but had our main celebration on Sunday where the plan was to BBQ a turkey and a rib roast.

The day before, my wife went out to get the rib roast. I was hiking at the time. It turns out that the market raised the price back to normal, more than doubling the cost.

The butcher convinced her to get a brisket. So my job was to figure out how to cook a brisket on a Weber cooker. 10 1/2 hours of low temp cooking later, the brisket was done and tasty, just not done in time for our Thanksgiving dinner. So we ate BBQ turkey and sent brisket home with our guests.

My wife liked it so much that she was all in for getting a smoker. I ended up deciding to go with a pellet smoker since I have no desire to feed and adjust a grill all day. I got a GMG Daniel Boone which is programmable and wifi enabled. Now I can put the food on and control and monitor from my smart phone. So far it has worked out fine. The last thing I cooked was a New York roast.

In addition to the smoker I have two Weber kettles and a Weber Q2200 gas grill with cast iron grills and the griddle option. The Q2200 is great for reverse searing, especially using the griddle where I can get more surface contact.

I am hoping to learn a lot on this forum.
  • #2 by Bobitis on 27 Jan 2019
  • Welcome Hank.  ;)
  • #3 by triplebq on 27 Jan 2019
  • Welcome to the group
  • #4 by Canadian John on 27 Jan 2019

•  Hank, A warm welcome indeed. Sounds as if you will fit right in with your cooking experience... I envy your short pants cooking environment. I am out to shovel snow shortly.
  • #5 by ZCZ on 07 Feb 2019
  • Welcome from Siberia (a.k.a. Minnesota).

Al
  • #6 by Jimsbarbecue on 07 Feb 2019
  • Welcome from SoCal
Pages:
Actions