News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi  (Read 1648 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Wifi
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »

Since I've had my grill I have never been able to use the WiFi mode.  It will connect to my home network then it just disappears.  I've just been getting by with an old android phone and doing P2P.  Recently I upgraded my router to a mesh set up, and decided to try WiFi mode again from my iPhone.  Connected up immediately, phone found the grill, I tried to turn on server mode and got an error.  Tried again another error, this time the phone lost the grill and couldn't find it. So I went back to my android phone connected P2P, tried to update the grill and got the FAL twice.  Any suggestions on how to get this working correctly?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »

call the manufacturer
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

TravlinMan

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:33 AM »

Note:  The GMG wifi can ONLY connect to your network (or any network) with the 2.4 ghz frequency. be sure when connecting your grill to be sure to select this network throughout the process.

Note: give your grill time to connect and establish itself on your network, if you can then communicate with your grill on your network, then enable server mode. You should then be able to locate the grill with your app in about 5 to 10 minutes.

Hope that helps, if not.. there is the call to GMG...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:27:02 AM by TravlinMan »
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »

Interesting as I have not tried my MAK wifi since I setup the Google mesh network.  I know our video doorbell only is 2.4 and it seems to work fine on the Google mesh.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Jon515

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 11:28:31 PM »

+1 TravelinMan.  Most grills are using 2.4ghz frequency only, so your (routers) need to have an explicitly named 2.4 ghz network separate from the 5 ghz network.  New routers tend to default to using the same SSID for both, particularly MESH networks.  I know Netgear's Orbi requires getting "under the hood" to setup to different SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5 ghz).  Google's mesh offeringhas similar issues.  This blending of SSIDs has a big downside, particularly for devices that require 2.4 and for devices that start out connected to one frequency, but as you move through your home, it drops in trying to connect to whatever frequency it first connected to, but that is the "worst" spot for that frequency where you are.

This same issue of only supporting 2.4 ghz exists in MAK's Wifi.  I had to use a range extender (not the same as mesh) that allowed naming a separate 2.4 ghz SSID.  That worked well as I have a few other devices that want only 2.4 ghz, and it freed up the 5 ghz frequency for streaming devices like Apple TV and Blue Ray player that streams as well.

My understanding is mesh combines 2.4/5ghz for the third channel.  This WiFi stuff is frustrating.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »

I am not the most tech savy guy in the world. We've been having internet issues the past month or so. Finally had the cable company come over and they found the ends of the cables on the splitter needed to be changed out. He did mention our router is getting up there in age so suggested that down the road you would need to update. I found a NetGear AC1750 on a swap site and got it relatively cheap and have been thinking of getting it hooked up and then started reading this as the router is a dual band and now I am wondering if I made a bad decision on getting this.  Never really thought of the 2.4 ghz  5 ghz issue with my grill.  I do know that when running the microwave, we lose the signal.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »

I am not the most tech savy guy in the world. We've been having internet issues the past month or so. Finally had the cable company come over and they found the ends of the cables on the splitter needed to be changed out. He did mention our router is getting up there in age so suggested that down the road you would need to update. I found a NetGear AC1750 on a swap site and got it relatively cheap and have been thinking of getting it hooked up and then started reading this as the router is a dual band and now I am wondering if I made a bad decision on getting this.  Never really thought of the 2.4 ghz  5 ghz issue with my grill.  I do know that when running the microwave, we lose the signal.

The 5ghz channel will fix your microwave issue.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »

You won't have the same issue for dual bands that MESH routers have.  The AC1750 setup allows you to name the 2.4 ghz band with a different SSID then the 5 ghz band/frequency.  Using two different SSIDs, and knowing which one is 2.4 and which is 5 ghz allows you to explicitly connect to the one that best serves whatever device you are trying to connect.

Thanks! You are a steely-eyed missile man!

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 02:33:32 PM »

The only device I've ever had significant problems with regarding WiFi in the past 5 years was my GMG grill. I used to use an AirPort Extreme dual band with both having the same SSID and now have an Orbi mesh system and a number of devices have existed under both systems and never had a single problem. This includes a few older devices that are 2.4 GHz only.

My understanding of most of the mesh systems is the 2.4 GHz only devices should be able to connect to and keep a 2.4GHz only connection and devices that are capable of both can connect to either or both channels for better bandwidth if they support simultaneous dual band. The implementation and compatibility of this could obviously vary from brand to brand of mesh routers and even from one firmware update to the next.

Another thing that shows up VERY frequently when people are having the 2.4 GHz problem is that the problem device is often being setup and connected to WiFI from another device like their phone or tablet. The problem here is that if the phone supports 5GHz (what smart phone that people would still use today doesn't?), it's going to connect to that. To get around this, you might be able to forget your WiFi on your phone, turn off 5 GHZ on your router, connect the phone to 2.4GHz and then to the device to configure via bluetooth and set it up. Then you should be able to turn the 5GHz back on and repeat the forget and reconnect process on your phone to get it back on 5GHz. This would all be dependent upon whether the device you are connecting is getting network information passed over from your phone (like BSSID) or if it really is building a connection inside it's application that you are just controlling and entering data into via the bluetooth connection.

I haven't had the GMG for at least 2-3 years now, so I've forgotten a lot of the details around it's Wifi issues and how it's setup, etc. I just remember buying a 8-10 inch antenna, a cheap Android pre-paid phone, getting a new controller from GMG after troubleshooting, etc. Maybe the thought above pertains? It seems like you connect to the P2P WiFi on the GMG rather than bluetooth though, but do you give it all the connection information via the app when connected or does it pass it from your phone where it could be sending it the 5GHz BSSID or something? Can you turn off 5GHz long enough to see if you can connect fine when it's off?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:42:45 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »

I use a 2.4/5 combined SSID and have never had issues with my GMG.  The one thing that I do know helps is setting up a static IP for the grill in your routers back end.   
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »

I use a 2.4/5 combined SSID and have never had issues with my GMG.  The one thing that I do know helps is setting up a static IP for the grill in your routers back end.

That is always a great idea when dealing with anything giving your problems or for anything you feel is 'critical' equipment.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up