Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A bad reputation  (Read 1333 times)

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
A bad reputation
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »

Well... I am the guy who asked about tofu and now i am introducing a thread inclusive of an Instant Pot...Ha ha

I am sure my reputation is forever damaged but i must share my experience.  Because of the cold i didn't want to use a 3-2-1 approach with my ribs.  So, i did a combo Instant Pot and smoke.

In the Instant pot i used two slabs of baby backs... 4 cups of Apple Juice...  A half cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.   Before putting in the Pot i used Honey and the Rec Tec Honey Rub and let the ribs sit 8 hours.   

Put in pot and cooked for 32 mins on Meat setting... then let steam bleed off fairly naturally. 

Then lathered them up with Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce and moved them to the Rec Tec.

Had the Rec Tec going at 225 (warm up about 30 minutes).   I put them on and let them go for 15 mins and then cranked it up to 500 for 15 more minutes.

Absolutely fabulous flavor.  Not as much smoke as normal full smoke but the tenderness on the ribs and then the bark on them was very good.  I screwed up with no pics.   But, if you have the IP and want to try this... I highly recommend it.  Great tenderness, juicy and perfect bark with a hint of smoke. 
RecTec RT-700 with Cold Smoking Box

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: A bad reputation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:19:01 PM »

Did a rack in he IP and then finished in he oven he other weekend, cold snowy, and wanted ribs and tried this. Did my rack of BB for 28 minutes, next time I may try 25. I like the electric pressure cookers for a lot of things.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:22:03 AM »

Holy cow, first tofu then IP your ribs!!!   Sorry, just couldn't help yanking yer chain a little.   When it comes to BBQ or grillin, it's whatever floats yer boat that counts. No right way, no wrong way.   :cool:   Then again, there is the issue of no pics.  :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:51 PM »

At least give me some credit for finishing in the RecTec.  Ha!   i hate to admit it, but i bet this summer my family is going to tell me to forget the 3-2-1.   They were better using the IP / RecTec method.  More tender.  Less smoke for sure, but still enough for it to have a caramelized texture and a hint of smoke.   
RecTec RT-700 with Cold Smoking Box

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:14:30 AM »

You can get tender ribs on any pit in 3 hours, just cook them the entire time at a true 275°!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »

You can get tender ribs on any pit in 3 hours, just cook them the entire time at a true 275°!

+1
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »

Holy cow, first tofu then IP your ribs!!!   Sorry, just couldn't help yanking yer chain a little.   When it comes to BBQ or grillin, it's whatever floats yer boat that counts. No right way, no wrong way.   :cool:   Then again, there is the issue of no pics.  :rotf:

I agree, whatever works for you is the way to go.  :clap:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »

The only handicap to doing them in your outdoor pit is:
1. Going out in the cold
2. Burns more pellets that way.

I agree with Bentley.  Just do  them in the pit for 3 hrs at 275.  No fuss, no mess, and only out to the pit twice. I prefer the long low slow, but have no problems with the FE method. "Its all good, but some is more good than others." (not sure where that quote originates) :clap: :bbq:
Pages: [1]   Go Up