Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking a Corned Beef Flat  (Read 1525 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Smoking a Corned Beef Flat
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »

I don't eat corned beef or rueben's but that looks like a great sandwich.  Congrats.

I usually let the meat cool in the fridge after smoking and prior to vac sealing.  I have not had any issue with juices in the sealer then.  It is a two to three day process for me though.
Well I did freeze the other half after the smoking, so that should work for me also.  Still can't get over the texture after sous vide.  The whole thing was very firm feeling until I cut the slices.  They just were wonderful and fell apart as you bite into them. Unlike any tenderness obtained by just low and slow on the pit.   :cool:

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »

hijacking of thread in 3-2-1

smoking, sous vide  ... or was it the  thin sliced flat?  I'm getting increasingly serious about purchasing a real slicer.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 08:54:52 AM »

Never done a corned beef before but trying out Okie's recipe here. Just have a 3 lb corned beef but will give it a try. Hopeful. Will post pics of finished product. Will be done before noon tomorrow.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 09:13:20 AM »

That was 3 years ago! I had forgotten about it.  Let us know how it turns out. :clap:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 09:16:30 AM »

That was 3 years ago! I had forgotten about it.  Let us know how it turns out. :clap:

Funny how time flies.  I didn't realize how long ago this board was born.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 01:09:26 PM »

Because they are on sale this time of the year, I picked up a 4 lb. point cut. In the past I've always bought flats, soaked for a day or two and made pastrami. This one, if there is a fat cap (package is still unopened but I can't see one) I'll remove it and cook similar to Okie only at lower temperatures and longer sous vide time. Probably will still soak.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 04:23:13 PM »

Here is a pic of it after pulling it off the smoker (fat side down). This was $3lb point that looked like Wagyu Beef just the way it was marbled. Took about two hours at 275 and IT was about 165.  Added a touch ofS&P for the smoke and then the flavor packet for the long bath in 160 degree water for 24 hours.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

hughver

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 05:53:44 PM »

The point that I bought was not marbled at all, which is why I initially thought that it was a flat, but bought it anyway.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2022, 06:15:30 PM »

Soaked 48 hrs.,seasoned, smoked at 225° for 2.5 hrs. (IT=135°), sous vide 24 Hr. at 138°, steamed for 1hr till IT=205° then seared with torch. now cooling will slice when cool. Meat was not fork tender at end of sous vide, 1hr. of steam did the trick.

As you can see, I took a sample from the lower right corner, it tasted very good, it was tender and moist. Sandwiches tonight.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:21:04 PM by hughver »

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 11:03:37 PM »

Everything looks very nice. I did a corned beef today for my mother in law's birthday / St. Patrick's Day party with my in laws. I didn't use the smoker at all for this one. I got a low sodium corn beef from Meijer, it has half the sodium of the regular corn beef they sell, which is important with my wife's dad having cardiac issues and her mom not doing well with much salt either. It was cooked sous vide at 180 for 10 hours with a cup of Guinness and an onion that had been quartered. It turned out to have a wonderful texture to it. All the liquid and onion was then put in a pot on the stove and brought to a boil with quartered potatoes and cut up carrot in it and then reduced to a simmer for 30 minutes before adding cabbage for the final 15 minutes. It all took on the beer and meat flavor nicely while being cooked well. and while that was cooking I seared both sides of the corn beef for a little color and let it rest so it would slice nicely for me. Wish I would have taken pictures, but folks were hungry and my prayers before meals can take a bit so we were eating before I thought of pictures. 
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up