News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cigars  (Read 778 times)

Phrett

• Using less gas.
Cigars
« on: February 03, 2019, 11:30:36 PM »

For those that enjoy cigars, what are you favorite brands, models and resource for purchase?  I’ve been buying from JR Cigars online since I can’t easily travel to local shops.
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

Fat Freddy

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: Cigars
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:47:25 AM »

Have you tried the Beat the dealer part at JR Cigars? I have won a few times. I have 2 recommendations and one to avoid from my experiences. For Samplers great selection good prices I really like Famous Smoke. Besides great samplers the also have decent bundles at good prices as well. Their 20 for $20 bundles are good to have around for those certain people that always show up and want a stick but never have anything in return.

Another place I purchase from is CigarsInternational. Prices are good and usually some pretty good email deals. I have not had to deal with their customer service so cant speak on that. My only real complaint is on their free or the cheapest shipping option and my experience may not be in same as other areas, however their cheapest or free shipping use UPS Surepost which means UPS ships part of the way and post office ships the rest. So tracking is almost useless. In my case UPS shipped to big city in my state to post office who then ships to UPS who then takes it to another post office that say local post office on tracking however that post office ships to another little post office 8 miles from my town who then ships to my town. So basically takes 3-5  days more than estimated delivery by tracking. However when free i cant really complain. This is every time so now I am used to it and prepared but first couple times was an issue.

From my experience the one to avoid is Thompson Cigar. Their prices are reasonable to good but the customer service is atrocious. They are notorious for signing you up for their cigar club without your consent. And once you get on their calling list they will call all the time to try to sign you up for club as well. They are sneaky as to how they do it too. On their website there is a bbig pop up offering so much percentage off and wanting your email and basic info, however in tiny print it says if you order using this percentage off you will be signed up for their monthly club and they will charge your card on file from your order. Also if you do notice this and dont agree to join club then they have to call you before shipping order to confirm your age, how a phone call would confirm it I am not sure, anyways like to talk fast and over you to try to get you to sign up. If you still dont they will still call somewhat often trying to get you to sign up even if you tell them not to. I thought that was just my experience however their social media page is full of complaints as well as basic internet reviews. Even unbiased cigar web sites(more than one) say similar things.

I really like robusto size but all depends on price. If I am just showing up at a store or dont know what I want I like Maduro wrappers. However if I have the money or am getting samplers I am a very big fan of Drew Estate Tabak Especial. I usually get samplers of tabak especial and Nub Cafe and am always happy. There are some fairly new bundles out I also like. Drew Estate Factory smokes(I like the sweets) a bundle of 20 is around $35 and while not the best not that bad either

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »

I wish I could help you...but I quit 2 years ago.  And I was a sissy and could not handle anything more then a Black n Mild pipe tobacco.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:57 AM »

I'm with Bentley...   I gave up on tobacco years ago.      I don't think I ever knew a good cigar from a bad one.     I do know that there was a time when I was pretty well addicted to Swisher Sweets.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

aarondo

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »

Oh where to start Cigars are my other guilty hobby.
  • opt for a long filler cigar as they use the whole leaf.
  • when I sold cigars I would always look for brands like Tatuaje, Don Pepin, Room 101, Padron, Drew Estate, and Viaje are a few I love. Cuban cigars are another discussion but unless you buy from a LCDH certified store they are probably fake.
  • if I purchase a majority of my cigars from Atlantic cigar
I’m sure I’m leaving a lot out so if you have questions let me know.
Yoder ys640

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 03:43:45 PM »

I’ve been using JR Cigars.  Their service is great and delivery only takes a couple of days.  My favorites include the La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Perdomo Lot 23 and Arturo Fuentes Hemmingway.  I used to also smoke the Punch Gran Cru, especially the pyramid shape.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:48:16 PM by Phrett »
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 06:39:37 PM »

I have given thoughts to trying cigars a while back but never did it. Pretty much my experience with them was King Edwards individually out of a box they were 2 for  a quarter, used to buy them many years ago when we would go to outdoor drinking gatherings, helped keep the bugs off. also did the Winchester Little cigars occasionally. I liked them but hated cigarettes.

I know you guys are laughing at me now, hope it brightened your day.

DMAXNAZ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »

I like the Isla Del Sol and Dirt from Drew Estate. I ordered a Drew Estate sampler pack which had some other than these and enjoyed all of them. I now take pics of the bands after I try a new cigar. I keep them in albums in my phone titled good, ok or bad. This has helped me out while trying different brands and types.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:55:58 PM by DMAXNAZ »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »

So why is/was Cuban tobacco so sought after?  Or do they not even grow the tobacco, but there techniques for rolling have some magical property to make a superior product?  Or is it like most things in my life, it is all about the hype?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:03:48 PM by Bentley »

aarondo

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »

Bently it’s mainly about the type of soil the tobacco is grown on.  Later year Cubans are not as good imo as the feel rushed due to the so called hype. Cuban cigars are not aged as long as others so they need time to rest.
Yoder ys640

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »

Thank you.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »

I remember driving through Lancaster County PA and seeing the tobacco drying in the Amish barns.  I wonder what that tobacco is used for - cigars, cigarettes, chew.  Are there any other uses for tobacco?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »

I remember a National Geographic in the late 70's or early 80's this group was trying to cross the Isthmus of Panama for some reason on foot.  They tried every known deet and mosquito repellent, none worked.  They finally started chewing tobacco and spitting on themselves and it worked!   

So there you have it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up