Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by glitchy on 04 Feb 2019
  • Grilled quite a bit this weekend. Did Costco Prime Sirloins on Saturday and think this might be the best steak you can regularly get for less than $10/lb. I started them with S & P frozen with a little olive oil via sous vide for 2 hours at 139. Then I added a good helping of pepper, and threw them on the Memphis with the open flame insert. After I pulled them, I poured garlic butter sauce over them. The girls raved.

Today I made a small tri tip for lunch and forgot pics and did 4 lbs of wings for the game. Pics of those in Kristin’s Superbowl thread.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 04 Feb 2019

•  Looks like you are loving your  Memphis.. Mouth watering pic.
  • #3 by ZCZ on 04 Feb 2019
  • Great looking steak!  Juicy, perfect!

Z
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Feb 2019
  • good stuff!
  • #5 by MMike on 04 Feb 2019
  •  :clap:
  • #6 by pmillen on 04 Feb 2019

• If that were on my plate I'd put my head down, start eating and not look up until it was gone.

EDIT:  1.  Olive oil
              2.  Salt & pepper
              3.  SV at 139°F for two hours
              4.  More pepper
              5.  Sear

Is that about it?
  • #7 by glitchy on 04 Feb 2019
  • Topped with garlic butter sauce after all done. Here it’s Northern Lights pizza, but pretty sure it’s a local chain. Think Papa John’s dipping sauce, but thicker like halfway to the old squeeze bottles of margarine consistency. Probably a good tablespoon plus of EVOO for 3.5 - 4 pounds of steaks. I almost wish I had GrillGrates on flipped for the sear though, could have used a bit more than the open insert on max did. I have some Oakridge Carne Crosta to try next time though.

They were really really good, there was more grunting than talking and the kids were arguing over who got the leftovers tonight. I just like a really seared crust like the prime steakhouses do and haven’t mastered it yet. However, we still enjoy all the attempts trying to get there.

Edit: Thanks all for the nice compliments.
  • #8 by pmillen on 05 Feb 2019
  • I just like a really seared crust like the prime steakhouses do and haven’t mastered it yet. However, we still enjoy all the attempts trying to get there.

Have you tried pan searing?  Use a heavy pan, one that takes a few minutes to heat up, like cast iron.  A heavy pan isn't cooled by the searing process as much as the lightweights.  You can do it on a gas grill or the kitchen range.  It sometimes helps to put a weight on it, even a foil-wrapped brick.
  • #9 by glitchy on 05 Feb 2019
  • Have you tried pan searing?  Use a heavy pan, one that takes a few minutes to heat up, like cast iron.  A heavy pan isn't cooled by the searing process as much as the lightweights.  You can do it on a gas grill or the kitchen range.  It sometimes helps to put a weight on it, even a foil-wrapped brick.

I’ve tried pan searing in the house and didn’t like the mess. I didn’t have cast iron then, so used a stainless and butter or oil. I also haven’t tried the blackstone yet either. Things to keep trying. One day I’m also going to try the charcoal in the chimney too, but that seems more wasteful to use a chimney full of charcoal just to sear steaks. So many ways to try. Usually, when I sous vide steaks, it seems like it’s really cold out, so I often sear them on a Foreman grill, lol.
  • #10 by bregent on 05 Feb 2019
  • >I’ve tried pan searing in the house and didn’t like the mess.

That's where the side burner on my Weber gasser comes in handy.  If I do it in the house, I use a splatter screen and hope the smoke alarm doesn't go off :)
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 05 Feb 2019
  • Or a cast iron pan and a turkey fryer burner.
Pages:
Actions