Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Mudflap on 06 Feb 2019
  • When I first got my GMG I had an Auger jam so I thought. When I removed the pellet hopper I found I had a Auger bushing problem. I tried to bust it loose without breaking anything but could not get it apart. Called GMG and they sent out new parts. Once I new I didn't need to worry about breaking anything i took a hammer and chisel to it and was able to bust it loose. The bushing had seized. I was able to sand down the burs so it could be used to cook that day. So from that point on I take apart the auger and check on how it looks. I also added spacers on the motor mount bolts so when snugging it down it dose not tilt inward and create a bind on the shaft.

Just thought i would post some photos showing what it looks like.

1. Unplug the grill.
    2. Get 5 gal bucket to set the hopper on when removed.
    3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the hopper on and place hopper on bucket. (You may notice I started out using pellet container but hopper wanted to slide off so switched to bucket)

4. Remove the hopper/auger gasket. Remove the sheer pin. Remove the motor mounting bolts.(you will notice later that in this photo I forgot to put spacers back in last time.)

5. Place another bucket under the auger so when you pull it out pellets will not just fall on ground. Pull the auger out.

6. Check the auger bushing and sheer pin hole for wear. You can see this is the one that jammed on me years ago. Still works but has a lot of wear and tare on it.

7. Check tube for creosote build up at the fire pit end.

8. Clean out auger tube. I have one of those old brushes I think it was for cleaning under refrigerators. Run it down the tube.

8. Check end of auger and clean if needed.

9. Now put back together in revers order. This shows the extra spacers (flat washers) I put in to help a line the motor mounting. This part I felt helped mine and it may not be needed on yours.

GMG web site has some step by step procedure for clearing a auger jam also. Plus a lot of other great tips.

Mudflap

• #2 by hughver on 06 Feb 2019
  • Excellent tutorial.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 07 Feb 2019
  • Excellent tutorial.

I agree!!  Might ought to check mine.  It's a 2011 model and groans at start up when it's cold outside (upper 40's).  Anything colder than that and I'm staying in the house.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 07 Feb 2019

•   A way to circumvent the mess and problems such as this is to shift the pellets.. If the bag of pellets is kept upright and the pellets scooped from the top, only the bottom portion ( ~6" ) need sifting.
  • #5 by Jon515 on 26 Mar 2021
  • Sorry for the reply to the old thread I'm just wondering what people are using to sift? I looked on amazon and saw Traeger has a bottom mesh you can put in as a secondary, but I"m looking for recommendations.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 26 Mar 2021

•   The sifter I use is actually a BBQ cooking basket. It measures roughly 14"L X 11"W X 2 1/4"H, with handles @ each end.. The square wire mesh is spaced @ 3/16".  I sift into a plastic dish pan and use the

fines to make paraffin fire starters for lighting charcoal.

Almost any kind of sifter will do. Too fine  of a mesh spacing will result in plugging up and too large will allow the pellets (1/4" to 5/16" Dia) to pass thru or get stuck. Just under 1/4" is ideal.  Happy sifting.
  • #7 by ICIdaho on 22 Jul 2021
  • I knew I remembered seeing something about the auger removal.  Mine is starting to make terrible creaking noises, so I think I will use this info and see if it is a simple clean up that is needed.
  • #8 by just4fn on 22 Jul 2021
  • I wonder if you could make an attachment to the vacuum and vacuum out the auger from inside the firepot to get the dust out as routine maintenance?  Maybe a rubber hose then attach it to the vacuum?
  • #9 by Canadian John on 22 Jul 2021
  • I wonder if you could make an attachment to the vacuum and vacuum out the auger from inside the firepot to get the dust out as routine maintenance?  Maybe a rubber hose then attach it to the vacuum?
    The easiest/best way to clean it out is with a leaf blower. Empty the hopper and blow from there. There will be a massive dust cloud emerse from the firepot.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Jul 2021
    The easiest/best way to clean it out is with a leaf blower. Empty the hopper and blow from there. There will be a massive dust cloud emerse from the firepot.

Or a shop vac that has a reverse mode
  • #11 by ICIdaho on 22 Jul 2021
  • I like the leaf blower to start with, save some time and make the neighbors wonder!
Pages:
Actions