Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous Vide Thick Tenderloin Filet  (Read 303 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Sous Vide Thick Tenderloin Filet
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:18 PM »

First try at a really thick prime tenderloin (Costco--on sale). This was a 2.3 inch thick very marbled.  I seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, smoked paprika and some Worcestershire as usual. Vacuum sealed and into the SV at 135* for 3 hrs.  Then seared in skillet with oil and butter. 
It cut very easily, but was a bit too rare, as well as chewy?  Guess that means that it did not cook long enough to melt the collagen.  I have never had a choice or prime tenderloin with that chewy texture before.  Tasted good, and we ate most of it after another 30 seconds in the microwave. I thought that 3 hrs was plenty of time.  Perhaps I should also have cooked at 140* but I suspect it was just not cooked long enough.  Expensive experiment.
Comments appreciated:

:help:

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Sous Vide Thick Tenderloin Filet
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »

If it were me, I keep it at 135 but go longer - maybe 4-5 hours. According to Baldwin, a 2.5" cylinder will take 3 hours to be within 1 degree F of the water temp. 
Because they are lean, I like tenderloin closer to rare than medium rare, and they are tender at that stage. So cook longer to allow it to break down more.

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »

Thanks Bregent, that's what I thought also.  Will take it to 4 or 5 hrs.  Lot of trouble for a steak.  I prefer the eye of ribeye 1.5 inch thick which at 2 hours, came out perfect.   All new to me and lots to learn.  But--lets not forget about our pits!   

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »

IMHO, if a tenderloin is chewy and you did not over cook it, it's due to the meat, not your cooking. Raw tenderloin is normally not chewy. If you came upon a chewy piece of tenderloin, the solution is to simply cook it longer at your desired temperature. The chewy parts start to dissolve at 130°, the more chewy, the more time. Additional temperature will also accelerate the dissolving process but then you have well done tenderloin.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »

Hughver, I think it was good prime, but just undercooked.  I have 3 more to go. It was not gristle chewy but more crunchy.  Will go for 4--5 hrs next time at 137.  That should do it.  However, I am not likely to do tenderloin again since my favorite is Eye of ribeye and aged strip. When I wet age strips at 35* for 3 weeks or more, they really cook up tender.
Pages: [1]   Go Up